Bullet Heads

patjack

Hi,
Got a renewal soon and have not purchased alot of ammo will buying just the bullet heads satisfy FSEL seems strange they reduce the amount you can aquire/purchase have, then come down on you for not purchasing any.
Regards.

Depends what you have your license for.
If when you first applied you included range/target shooting then your justification for pocession of a rifle might be compromised.
If you just use your rifle for shooting deer then I can't see how they can question your need for the rifle as you might only stalk 10x a year and shoot 1 round every 2nd trip.

Purchasing bullets won't prove anything unless the police in the dealers area insist that they are entered on certificates. At the end of the day you simply have to demonstrate good reason for continued possession. The guidance to police suggests a minimum number of occasions a year that firearms are used it doesn’t suggest a minimum number of rounds actually fired as far as I know.
If you don't use your firearms how can you justify continued ownership. If you use your firearms then it's simply a matter of proving it.

Come on! Somebody has to answer this young man's question!! :scared:~Muir
Muir, it's probably the terminology that puts people off answering the question. If he had asked about bullets, well, who knows, he might have got a more speedy response.

Patjack, if you have used your rifle at all you have demonstrated the need for it, so if you have expended some ammunition and used your rifle who is to say it is unjustified. If you do not reload, what is the point of just buying bullets?

I would suggest that if you are at all unsure of your local Constabulary's view on this, joining a rifle club would help.

Simon

personally I have never bought or come close to owning the number of rounds listed on my certificate.
If you "plan" to join a rifle club, "plan" to start homeloading, "plan" to shoot 5 days a week all year round ....I see no reason why they would look to restrict the amount of ammunition you can hold or try to demonstrate that you dont use your rifle enough and therefore shouldnt have one.

Nowhere in the Home Office guidelines does it say you can only have a rifle if you use it a specific number of days a year or shoot a specific number of rounds.
If I have an illness and stop shooting for a year does that give them a reason for taking away my allowance or not renewing the certificate!?

my certificate had zero ammunition purchased on it for a period of 4 years. Didn't mean I wasn't shooting or that I shouldn't have that allocation.

Muir, it's probably the terminology that puts people off answering the question. If he had asked about bullets, well, who knows, he might have got a more speedy response.

Patjack, if you have used your rifle at all you have demonstrated the need for it, so if you have expended some ammunition and used your rifle who is to say it is unjustified. If you do not reload, what is the point of just buying bullets?

I would suggest that if you are at all unsure of your local Constabulary's view on this, joining a rifle club would help.

Simon

Simon: Of course it's the terminology! After the umpty-five posts on a similar thread about "heads" a few months back I was thinking that no one wanted to start down that road again! ;) I must say you're all being very kind.~Muir

personally I have never bought or come close to owning the number of rounds listed on my certificate.
If you "plan" to join a rifle club, "plan" to start homeloading, "plan" to shoot 5 days a week all year round ....I see no reason why they would look to restrict the amount of ammunition you can hold or try to demonstrate that you dont use your rifle enough and therefore shouldnt have one.

Nowhere in the Home Office guidelines does it say you can only have a rifle if you use it a specific number of days a year or shoot a specific number of rounds.
If I have an illness and stop shooting for a year does that give them a reason for taking away my allowance or not renewing the certificate!?

my certificate had zero ammunition purchased on it for a period of 4 years. Didn't mean I wasn't shooting or that I shouldn't have that allocation.

Brewsher, In the rifle club to which I belong the Secretary is regularly asked by at least three constabularies, on members license renewal, about how often members have attended the club and used their rifles. We keep a record of attendance and rifles used alongside your name on the range sheet. This is collated and is used as evidence of good reason to keep the firearm.

Not all constabularies are as keen on this, but they are round here.

Simon

Simon: Of course it's the terminology! After the umpty-five posts on a similar thread about "heads" a few months back I was thinking that no one wanted to start down that road again! ;) I must say you're all being very kind.~Muir

Muir, i thought it was eleventy five?

Simon

"Nowhere in the Home Office guidelines does it say you can only have a rifle if you use it a specific number of days a year or shoot a specific number of rounds."

Brewsher I think you'll find there is reference to it unfortunately.

No. It's umpty-five and eleventy-seven. Gad man! Where did you learn your English??:rolleyes:~Muir

Muir, I was at school on the day we did English, but not on the day we did maths. I can't remember what we did on the other three days.

Simon

The funniest thing is that Lincolnshire will not allow me to shoot many of my rifles :rolleyes: it will interesting what they say about this at renewal.

Trouble??? nope no trouble. I am hoping that I can get the final slot on my ticket filled before I send it in :D that's a .243 Midland 2100 to fill not only the slot but a hole in the P-H line up. Should know if we can get it transferred on Monday.

Not sure how many extras to put in for on renewal after all I am still short of these:-

BSA Hunter
BSA Viscount
BSA Imperial
BSA Emperor
BSA Majestic std ( Not the Featherweight)
BSA Mod 1929 Hi Velocity
BSA Mod 12 in 300 Sherwood
BSA Monarch 2nd pattern

The we move the Parker-Hale:-

M81 Classic
Safari
Super Safari
Safari .222 Rem
1000 std
1200M
Hussar

Oh dear that's another 15 right off the bat :rolleyes: Might need a bit more storage fitting up. Luckily I do happen to have a couple of spare not fitted cabinets. One holds 6 the other 5 if I remember correctly.

So Finnbear my dear fellow if you see a strange Mushroom type cloud in the direction of Lincoln you will know why ;).

Back