Deer hunting with eagles.

robbobsam

Just watched the mongolians hunting wolvesand foxes with eagles after reading the other thread and noticed a guy using them on deer too.

Interesting >>>

there is also eagles taking deer on the old youtube the one i watched the golden eagle took a roe deer off the floor . the power they must possess is amazing

I watched the fox and eagles clip and was very surprised the eagle survived considering the fox was well aware of the situ
but more concern was towards the bird, as was in the Roe clip
It's great putting such birds against such quarry but in truth where is the common sense
there was not any:confused:

I watched the fox and eagles clip and was very surprised the eagle survived considering the fox was well aware of the situ
but more concern was towards the bird, as was in the Roe clip
It's great putting such birds against such quarry but in truth where is the common sense
there was not any:confused:

The mongol people have hunted wolves with eagles for many years as a way to keep the numbers down and to catch them for fur. Its nothing to do with sense its about surviving. It may seem senseless to use who are tooled up with rifles, but to them its tradition and the only affordable method they have to hand.

The mongol people have hunted wolves with eagles for many years as a way to keep the numbers down and to catch them for fur. Its nothing to do with sense its about surviving. It may seem senseless to use who are tooled up with rifles, but to them its tradition and the only affordable method they have to hand.
From my limited knowledge on the subject
this is an age old tradition probably dating back to Ghengus Khan
it was not a way of life or a method of control
so nothing to survive in
just there are some traditions I don't agree with others I don't see any sense in
just like a tradition where you place a slit in the goats abdomen region , reach in and squeeze it's heart to kill it
It makes no sense when you had a knife there already
the ground they hunt is not animal rich or farmed for survival, so no need to control
and the amount of pelts they would take in a year is probably enough to by a couple of pints in the local
so no survival issuses on that count either
I like watching birds work but hate to see them get injured for pleasure unesseceraliy
and a 13lb bird rolling about with a 30lb deer or a 50lb wolf is not what I call common sense
as for the rifle status I'm sure if you tried to steal a bird or 2 off them
you would soon see where their natural abilities lay

I have seen this film before. Flying Eagles at Fox and Roe is something that is a great tradition and is still carried out in parts of the world.

As for any concerns about a Golden Eagle taking a Fox, well if you have stalked the Highlands of Scotland it is not uncommon to see Eagles chasing foxes, if you are lucky. A Golden Eagle is perfectly capable of taking a Fox and possibly a Roe if it needed to.

I always think that much depends on the bird or animal, they are like humans all are individuals, some bolder than others.

If was down to the do gooding anti's we would all live the life of monks. Maybe we should train the eagles to hunt those idiots instead !!!

You can still do this in Scotland. We visited the Stewart crystal showrooms soem years back, sorry cannot recall it's location :oops: but they have falconary displays outside in the summer and there was fliers for Roe Buck hunting with Golden Eagles.

A friend, who I have no reason to doubt, witnessed an eagle tackling a red calf last year in the highlands.
The calf got away (aided by its mother). The eagle may ofcourse have been a youngster that did not
Know its limitations.

I dont think we should be too quick to criticise hunting traditions in other countries. We have
already lost foxhunting & coursing, which I belive will prove to be the opening of the floodgates
that will eventually lead to the end of all hunting for sport (as opposed to control). Let's all try
to stick together.

You can still do this in Scotland. We visited the Stewart crystal showrooms soem years back, sorry cannot recall it's location :oops: but they have falconary displays outside in the summer and there was fliers for Roe Buck hunting with Golden Eagles.

It may have been Dunrobin Castle in Sutherland. They hold regular falconry displays.

As for a comment about birds getting hurt. Many years back I flew birds for a hobby and worked for a while part time at Chilham Castle under Alan Oswold who was the head falconer at the time. Now the art of falconry has moved on a great deal since then and is now more popular than ever. But in my opinion when ever you fly any bird at live prey there is always the possability of the bird being hurt. Even more so if you are flying a round wing/hawk such as a Goshawk or Sparrow Hawk. They do tend to be slightly fiesty and some birds will take on large prey, in particular Goshawks which when flown at Hares can be something else to watch.

A great sport to be in but very time consuming looking after the birds.

Hmmm We were staying just outside Perth and I just asked Mother and then looked at the Map the place was just outside Crieff. Sorry it was Stuart Crystal. Been a few years now.

A friend of mine has amongst other birds, golden eagles. He hunts with them several times a week and takes an incredible head of game.

I have had the pleasure of flying the eagles at rabbits and hares, which probably make up the vast majority of their diet in the wild. When you carry these birds on the fist and feel the power in their grip it is quite daunting when you think that a full grown man could be seriously injured by a bird weighing 8lbs or so. My friend has the scars from the early years with red tailed buzzards to prove it, including tallons through the palm of the hand and out the back and straight through his cheek and into his mouth! A sore lesson to learn.

The thing that surprised me was the agility of the bird when in flight, being able to follow a rabbit jinking from side to side and taking it easily.

There is often no quick death for the prey and the birds will often begin to feed before the prey is dead, nature at its hardest.

If anyone has any interest whatsoever in seeing these birds hunt, I could not recommend it highly enough, but make sure if you pay for a day with hawks (I believe they are called 'Hawk Walks' nowadays) the guide really does hunt with the birds otherwise you will be disappointed.

Before it was killed, my mate had a Peregrine Falcon that would kill in excess of 350 head of game a year, incredible bird. Then one day his Goshawk realised his stand was not as heavy as it looked and dragged it behind himself across the garage floor towards the Falcon...

From what i've read about the native eagle hunters, the eagles are flown at wolves (and i've even seen film from the Russian steppe of a Golden Eagle flown at a European Badger!) - they do not 'take' these species as we would think. They are trained to grip the muzzles of these animals with their talons and hold on until the hunter can kill it with a knife. No pelt damage! Golden eagles are used because of their size and aggretion but would never tackle such species in the wild. 6 lb eagle vs a 100lb Russian wolf -No. Against a 12 lb fox -Yep!

Back