Blast errosion on Moderator baffles

Brithunter

Checked the stainless blast plate in my P8 today and found this:-

P2110138.jpg

I wonder how it would look if it was alloy instead of stainless. The moderator is used on a 25-06 and 6.5x55.

And? how many db's is it louder?
What was the bore diameter initially and how much is it now?
All I see is a crusted up baffle.
edi

And? how many db's is it louder?
What was the bore diameter initially and how much is it now?
All I see is a crusted up baffle.
edi

Ahhh OK let's consider this logically. The blast shield in question is made of a stainless steel. Not alloy and that's not crud of crusting but pitting.

P2110138.jpg

The latest photo and then one taken just after getting the moderator new:-

PICT0107.jpg

That was after the first trials with it fitted. Sorry was having to borrow another camer with no macro but you can make out that the top of the blast shield is smooth and not pitted. Those of you familar with the Wildcat P8 may have noticed that the baffles are for the .243 so in theory it should be quieter than if it was a 6.5mm one.

I suppose it's not going to be a major problem as the P8 is modular so a replacement can be puchased easily enough.

As to if it has alter it's sound reducing performance without access to a noise meter and the knowledge to use it properly there is no way I can tell. My concern was that this has happened to a stainless blast shield so what would it look like if it was just alloy? Of course to a lot of stalkers 500 rounds is several years use.

Back