Tikka 55 twist

It's the standard 1 in 14".

Tikka have always used the same barrels and twist rates in their sporters be they M55, M558, M590, M595, or T3 actions. The same goes for the long-action equivalents. The barrels have retained the same length, taper, and twist over the years ... but the blueing and finish has gone downhill!

The barrels in the M55/M65 look shorter than those of their successors but that's an illusion because the earlier actions are more compact. I've checked the M65 .308 against a T3 .308, and they are the same tube.

The only exception to this is the T3 series in .223/5.56mm. As these could have a target shooting use you can now choose a faster 1:8" twist, rather than the standard 1:12" twist which is still on offer.

It's the standard 1 in 14".

Tikka have always used the same barrels and twist rates in their sporters be they M55, M558, M590, M595, or T3 actions. The same goes for the long-action equivalents. The barrels have retained the same length, taper, and twist over the years ... but the blueing and finish has gone downhill!

The barrels in the M55/M65 look shorter than those of their successors but that's an illusion because the earlier actions are more compact. I've checked the M65 .308 against a T3 .308, and they are the same tube.

The only exception to this is the T3 series in .223/5.56mm. As these could have a target shooting use you can now choose a faster 1:8" twist, rather than the standard 1:12" twist which is still on offer.

2 full turns in a 22" barrel makes 1in 11/12 twist in my book thats what my Tikka 22-250 chucks out just checked its the continental without moderator (Standard Barrel)
Done with a tight as a fishers ring piece patch on 22 jag on a rotating rod indexed with a tape flag

Definitely not 1 in 14

Last edited:
2 full turns in a 22" barrel makes 1in 11/12 twist in my book thats what my Tikka 22-250 chucks out just checked its the continental without moderator (Standard Barrel)
Done with a tight as a fishers ring piece patch on 22 jag on a rotating rod indexed with a tape flag

Definitely not 1 in 14

Thanks !
I told `Sinistral` on a previous thread that my M55 Continental .22/250 was one-in-twelve but he still wont have it.
It is like other bum-fodder often posted by those who have not had the practical experience to back it up.
Over a long period I have had Tikkas in M55, M65, also a couple of T3s, all of which shot to a high degree of accuracy.
No crow or deer has complained to me yet that the guided `missile` which perforated it came out of the plastic magazine of my T3 .

HWH.

I don't know if this is of any help but I keep a bit of a reference library made up of catalogues of various manufacturers. I thought that I might still have one for the M55/M65 range but I don't. I do however have catalogues for both 595/596 and T3 both of which show the twist rate as 1 in 14" for .22-250.

That may be on the 595/596 but there had been complaints about excessive barrel wear on the 22-250 in m55 thats why they opted for the 1.14 at a later date. they was also susceptable to excessive throat wear as well if shooting cartridges at max velocity, as i am very careful in my loadings in keeping the pressures down a little from the max i have had 30years plus out of mine without any wear as indicated and still groups exceptionally well.

Thanks for your contributions to this, MS and Hubert. This is odd, as it's not what the Tikkakoski stuff says but you have the real article to hand.

I've just used the rod method to check out my Tikka .22-250, and got almost 1.5 turns in 20.25" of rifling from the mark so it's the standard 1 in 14 twist. My .223 checks out at about 1.7 turns so is the standard 1 in 12. Thank the Lord for giving us wet Sunday afternoons to resolve issues like these.

Thanks for your contributions to this, MS and Hubert. This is odd, as it's not what the Tikkakoski stuff says but you have the real article to hand.

I've just used the rod method to check out my Tikka .22-250, and got almost 1.5 turns in 20.25" of rifling from the mark so it's the standard 1 in 14 twist. My .223 checks out at about 1.7 turns so is the standard 1 in 12. Thank the Lord for giving us wet Sunday afternoons to resolve issues like these.

Sounds like that at sometime in its life its been rebarrelled before being screw cut which is common practice with a shot out barrel and they would have used the 1.14 twist

I just used the cleaning rod method of determining twist rate and sure enough I have a 1 in 14 twist rate. Thanks for your expertise fellows.

Stu,

Bought mine new so it has the original 22"/57cm Tikka barrel. As I'm no fan of moderators it hasn't been screwcut or shortened, so is just like the rest.

Geraldad.... if you're are still out there... you should find the standard 1:14 twist in .22-250 will handle all .224 flat-based SP bullets irrespective of weight.

Mine does it's very best with the 63gr Sierra SMP seated out to 57mm OAL.

Mine did not like the 70 grain Semi-spitzer Speer flat-based but shot very well with the 60gr SP Hornady and the 63gr Semi-pointed Sierra.
Both of the latter two killed many Sika and some Hybrids for me between 1972 and 1993 whe Irish law only permitted .22cfs for killing Deer.

HWH.

Sinistral I am still here. I am want to try some 60gr Sierra hollow point varminters. If these stabalize in my 14 twist they should be good on coyotes, if not I will use 53gr Hornady hollow point match. I know they work but I would like to try the 60s

I don't get it chaps, I use an older Tikka .223, and I could not get 60gn nosler partitions to work in it with three different types of powder.
I did not explore flat base bullets, however I am envious that you guys with the 1:14 twist barrels are getting 60gn bullets to stabilise.

Back