Help - Gun cabinet key broken - any advice please

Heym SR20

The rut is starting and the rifle is the far side of a locked gun cabinet door and the key for the bottom lock has just broken in the lock.

Before I call in the lock smith to drill out the lock does any body have any ideas??

Many thanks in advance

Heym SR20

If you can see the broken shaft of the key, drill it out with a tiny drill bit and use an 'easy out' - I use it for broken bolts cos I do old cars.

You might need to go to a decent hardware store and get a set of small easy out, they usually come with a drill bit. They go anti clockwise, if you want clockwise drill the shaft just the same but use a small screw.

Use best quality drill bit you can find. half the diam of the key shaft.

I meant did heym keep his in a lock top. My lock top isn't airtight, I know from doing cars - you be grinding in a wheel arch and set the boot carpet on fire. In an enclosed space sparks get everywhere - probably knack his guns as well and set whatever's in there on fire.

Might be a drill and hacksaw job.

Depending on your cabinet mate two ways if you can't wiggle out the key one way or another, then how we did mine was to open the bottom lock as it was the top lock I had lost my key for :oops:

Then wedged it open with a block of wood as far as you can spragg it using a pair of strong screwdrivers or tyre bars if you can get hold of some pops open a treat I was so impressed by how easy it opened I bought a new safe with crossbolts and a code pad :lol: no more bloody keys to loose .. :p

get a cheap B&Q demel type tool - cut locking bar -ring- The Lockshop-Warehouse Checkout - order new lock-48hrs later fit new lock..neil

Thanks for all the advice - Griffshrek - for furture referrence which is the locking bar ring - is it the central ring into which the key fits?

I had hidden some spare set of keys when we first moved in ten years ago under neath some floor boards, under neath some furniture. An hour and half later having emptied out the furnitire and lifted the floor boards I found a spare key to the cabinet.

The broken key had lost some teeth, which I assumed had broken off in the lock.

My plan was to then got a small allen key and cut it down into a hook expecting to have to try and extract the bits of broken key from the lock.

But I first of all tried the spare key in the lock - it opened easily and sweetly.

God alone knows how the other key got broken - that will remain one of life's mysteries.

So no longer need to cry - just need to this evening put back the floor boards and the furniture.

Back