Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moderate or not?

Moderate or not?

It seems to me that pretty much everyone these days has a moderator on their rifle. Just wondering what the forum members have. I have moderators on my 6.5x55 and 222 but not on my 308(so far!)
    Regards Toby

Ps. Tried to post a poll with options of:
    Moderated
    Unmoderated
    Screw cut, but used both moderated and unmoderated
    Barrel shortened

Both my rifles with moderators have original length barrels and are shot both moderated and unmoderated at times.
    Last edited by Border; 13-02-2011 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Border View Post
    It seems to me that pretty much everyone these days has a moderator on their rifle. Just wondering what the forum members have. I have moderators on my 6.5x55 and 222 but not on my 308(so far!)
    Regards Toby

Ps. Tried to post a poll with options of:
    Moderated
    Unmoderated
    Screw cut, but used both moderated and unmoderated
    Barrel shortened

Both my rifles with moderators have original length barrels and are shot both moderated and unmoderated at times.
    Ok I have not been stalking long. But I'm also in two minds. Love the feel of my 243 without a mod but don't like the bleeding ears after a shot. Jsut to throw something else into the mix. What are peoples views on the new light weight aluminium mods regards life of mod and recoil reduction

Now ppl you have to think out of the box alittle here! why do you have a mod!!! dah! to reduce noise, ita all down to the fact of where you are shooting/permission and local population! and by adding a mod will reduce any possible "discomfort" from the locals oh and tinnitus that is unless you like me shoot with ear defenders

I personally don't use one on my cfs but do on a .17hmr as i do shoot close to some built up areas at night plus it might make the difference of a few extra bunnys,i'm not totally against them they have their uses and while i wouldn't entertain one myself for stalking have been thinking of getting one for my .243 for foxes for the same reason as the .17hmr.
    Neil.

Moderators have changed quite a bit in the last years.
    We weighed an old stainless moddy off a swift a while back... 1kg ~2.2lbs
    Since a while the average mod weight seemed to drop off to around 500grams
    for steel or stainless and some aluminium/steel versions.
    For stalking or hunting the newest are ultra light aluminium mods. I personally think they
    are a gift as they will save your, your dogs and bystanders hearing without being a hassle
    to carry. My 243 hunting rifle weighs 8.8lbs loaded, with S&B scope and moderator. The barrel
    was shortened to 20" and the moddy weighs 7 oz. Handling didn't change much compared
    to no mod 24" rifle.
    Baffle wear of aluminium mods in my oppinion is overrated and mainly marketing talk.
    edi

My shoot is in the middle of no-where and I always wear defenders so dont see the point in lugging a mod about with me tbh

I did not get a moderator to reduce the sound, the primary reason was to reduce recoil and hopefully make me shoot a little bit straighter.

i wouldnt bother unless you are putting quite a few rounds through the rifle, my .223 which i always use is moderated but my .308 isnt as i only use it on deer and it isnt very often that i will go out and try and shoot more than one deer so it will only ever get let off once every stalk at the most so i dont see the point of getting it done

I have all my rifles moderated, saves my hearing, causes less disturbance, reduces recoil and, having never shot any of the rifles without them, I dont notice the weight.

No opinion on those who choose not to, but really dislike the guys with muzzle breaks fitted, especially if you are stood next to them.
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

Deafness is an awful, having a moderator isnt exactly a life changing decision....but the failure to do so is life changing and the effects can never be reversed. I would much rather be able to hear the birds in my garden singing than to be wearing 2 hearing aids and having a constant whistle in my ear.