.17 HMR for fox

darty

just getting open on .22lr and .17 hmr . question is do i need to get fox as well as vermin on certificate ?....are fox classed as vermin according to police ?

You need fox on as well there not classed as vermin as far as the plod are concered

just getting open on .22lr and .17 hmr . question is do i need to get fox as well as vermin on certificate ?....are fox classed as vermin according to police ?

Some forces will allow fox on .17hmr and some won't. The caliber is well capable of taking fox but they are the rules.

cheers chaps...and does it mean on written permission from landowners , does it have to state fox and vermin ?

On mine,its just vermin and pest control,but I think all forces are different,best play safe and get guidance from your flo,the 17 is great for fox ,but you neds discapline with it ,over 100 yards you will struggle for consitent clean kills and wish you had something a bit bigger!!!if you are going to shoot fox regular,get a 222 or 243,or if its Just rabbits your after stick to the 22,or 17hmr,but be realistic with the guns capabilites.
Regards. Bauldy!

I followed BASC's advice to the letter, and requested my 17 HMR for "pest control and zeroing/target practice" and my 6.5x55 for "deer/pest control and zeroing/target practice". BASC clearly state these are the only two reasons you should ever need to give (unless specifying "target shooting" or boar control/travelling).

Following the discussion with my FLO (excellent chap, works for Wiltshire Constabulary) my ticket came back saying "for PEST and FOX control" for the HMR and "for DEER and FOX control" for my 6.5 Swede.

Back