Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting a Remington 700 floor plate model to a magazine?

Converting a Remington 700 floor plate model to a magazine?

There seems to be some USA sites that are offering a conversion kit for a Remington 700 floor plate model to a magazine.

Has anyone else done this already? I have just bought a .243 and would ideally like a magazine rather than the floor plate.

Cheers

Ross

Each to their own and you obviously have your reasons for wanting to do this however, you cannot forget to take a hinged floor-plate magazine with you, and I was told once by a custom rifle builder that generally speaking most hinged magazines will feed a bit better that detachable ones.

Unless out at hinds and needing a spare magazine I am curious as to why?

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Each to their own and you obviously have your reasons for wanting to do this however, you cannot forget to take a hinged floor-plate magazine with you, and I was told once by a custom rifle builder that generally speaking most hinged magazines will feed a bit better that detachable ones.

Unless out at hinds and needing a spare magazine I am curious as to why?
    What I always do when starting out from the farm yard with my Tikka, which does have a detachable magazine, is fill the mag and walk to the other side of the yard where I start my stalk from. Only then do I load the magazine and cycle a round. It may be my safety conciousness going over board?

One farm in particular farm has a farm shop, I would rather have a totally empty rifle when walking across the yard, customers may see me seemingly load the rifle otherwise.

Cheers

Ross

I have fitted a two types of aftermarket magazine systems to Remmy 700.
    From Syss a badger copy with AI magazines and the Roedale system also with AI mags. Both work very well
    and are very reliable once fitted. The Roedale is easier to fit as the height of the stock at the screw holes
    is the same as an original stock also meaning one can revert to the frop plate without having to fill the stock again.
    I have the Roedale Mag system in my remmy 243 as I was just sick and tired of it not feeding well. Absolutely
    perfect now and 100% reliable.
    Roedale needs maybe 10 minutes with a file or dremel just to work out the corners of the mag opening.
    Same with the Syss/Badger + milling out I think the front bottom metal tang by about 5mm.

edi
    Last edited by ejg; 13-02-2011 at 23:59.

Quote Originally Posted by ejg View Post
    I have fitted a two types of aftermarket magazine systems to Remmy 700.
    From Syss a badger copy with AI magazines and the Roedale system also with AI mags. Both work very well
    and are very reliable once fitted. The Roedale is easier to fit as the height of the stock at the screw holes
    is the same as an original stock also meaning one can revert to the frop plate without having to fill the stock again.
    I have the Roedale Mag system in my remmy 243 as I was just sick and tired of it not feeding well. Absolutely
    perfect now and 100% reliable.
    Roedale needs maybe 10 minutes with a file or dremel just to work out the corners of the mag opening.
    Same with the Syss/Badger + milling out I think the front bottom metal tang by about 5mm.

edi
    Hi,

Thanks for that I will get onto roedale today.

Cheers

Ross

Another alternative is the one from GBR England, though I've not seen it in the flesh, so I can't really comment:

GBR Floorplates

Also, HS precision do one which is a drop in fit, however is no where near as beefy as the Badger/SYSS but has the advantage of the magazine being flush with the bottom of the stock, available through Midway UK (well, when it's in stock!):

Midwayuk - H-S Precision Trigger Guard and Detachable Magazine Assembly Remington 700 w/Hinged Floorplate Short Action 308 Winchester 4-Round Stainless Steel Black

Hi Ross,

I have fitted one of the GBR floorplate approx 150 to my rem 700,very good takes AI mags 60.

Have a Badger Ordnance bottom metal available (no magazine) available...

I'm sure i remember seeing South Yorkshire Shooting Supplies offer a kit.

is this what you want? I searched remmington 700 conversion and this came up http://www.rimfiremagic.co.uk/