Thread: Trigger control

Trigger control

Been doing a bit of dry-firing lately, and have been focusing on my trigger control. However, I am getting a marginal pull to the right, even though I feel I am pulling straight back through the butt of the stock I then reviewed my grip, etc. I have discovered that my Sako 75 stock is such that in order to use the tip of my trigger finger, and be able to see air between my finger and the stock, I have to adopt a very weak grip, and cannot have the thumb wrapped over the stock..anyhow, I then read a bit in my literature, and it says that you want a firm grip, but still optimal mechanical advantage, whilst still using a technique which results in a straight pull.

Unfortunately, with my stock, a perfect straight pull with a firm grip and the thumb wrapped over the stock, is obtained by using the middle of my trigger finger (rather than the tip), in the middle of the trigger (rather than at the bottom). This seems to generate a straight pull, but does not place my finger in a very sensitive position..

any thoughts? should I keep working on my old technique until I have eliminated the slight right pull, which is probably cause by using the tip of my finger.........

When you say the 'tip of your finger' do you mean the end of the pad or about mid-way between the first joint and the actual end of the finger? Do you shoot with your weak hand underneath the forend and pull the butt into the shoulder or support the butt? I only ask because I have gone back to basics with my rifle shooting and found that my grip on the stock and finger position on the trigger did make a big difference.
    Whilst it sounds a bit odd, we all seem to have a 'model' that we use to shoot. It's a bit like a golf swing, we know when it's just right but just one bit out of place and the shot is not quite right and then the confidence gets knocked. I am sure you know this already so I will shut up now!

Hi,

thanks for your thoughts. I've been using almost literally the tip of my finger for the trigger pull, but I feel like the stock is almost forcing me to adopt a more 'middle of the finger' approach...doesn't 'feel' right. It would feel better if the trigger was set significantly further forward on the stock.

Try using the centre of the last pad and not the actual tip of the finger. In fact I've never heard of it being advocated to use the tip before, maybe because the articulation of the joints means that you can't actually get a straight pull that way as the arc of the finger is almost certain to impart some sideways pressure on the trigger.

The other thing to do if seeking to perfect your trigger action without any intervening inputs would be to support the fore end on a sandbag, and use your free hand under the butt to control elevation by clenching and unclenching the fist. Then you can concentrate on sight picture, breathing control and trigger. If the first two are right then the trigger let-off should almost take you by surprise when it happens and require minimal conscious input.

Just a thought.................
    Would using the very tip of the finger create a pushing and pulling motion on the trigger??
    Hence the bullet going right.
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Try using the centre of the last pad and not the actual tip of the finger. In fact I've never heard of it being advocated to use the tip before, maybe because the articulation of the joints means that you can't actually get a straight pull that way as the arc of the finger is almost certain to impart some sideways pressure on the trigger.

The other thing to do if seeking to perfect your trigger action without any intervening inputs would be to support the fore end on a sandbag, and use your free hand under the butt to control elevation by clenching and unclenching the fist. Then you can concentrate on sight picture, breathing control and trigger. If the first two are right then the trigger let-off should almost take you by surprise when it happens and require minimal conscious input.
    Hi, I do use my left hand to support the butt for elevation, etc.and shoot over bags or bipod(s). When I say I use the 'tip' of my finger, I meant that I use the last 1/2" of the last joint/tip...

pkl,
    i commend you for trying to improve your shooting but most of all for looking at what you are doing wrong and not at what your kit is unable to do, but one thing i will say tho is dont get to wrapped up in what you are doing. i am a firm beliver in that a confidence in yourself is the most important thing. i see to many people worring about doing every thing in a just so manner and getting so worked up before they pull the trigger that when they do they blow the shot completely. rifle shooting is all about consistancey as im sure you know so shoot how ever do naturally and practice at that and if you do pull to the right each time then fine as long as you do it every time and zero for this who will ever know any differnt, after all even if you sneeze every time you pull the trigger but can still drop a sub moa grouping where is the harm

I don't wrap my thumb round the stock, but lie it up the back pointing towards the bolt. That way you are almost pinching the trigger. They do say it is important not to let the thumb actually rest on the back of the bolt though.