Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: reloading 243 ackley improved

reloading 243 ackley improved

Hi chaps

I need some advice as I am about to reload for ai rifle. As I understand I can fireform using some ammo I reloaded in 243 and then use the brass and new dies to reload for the ai cartridge. Would this be correct? Also what sort of bullet heads would you suggest for fox Roe and fallow .

Atb Steve

Steve

What twist rate is the barrel?

243 ai

1 in 10 24 " barrel

Mine is a 1 in 8 and I currently use 85grn Sierra BTHP Gameking, 46.5grns of H4350. Superbly accurate but off the top of my head I am not sure of the legalities in England??? Whether that works in your rifle or not...

I know that a 1 in 8 will certainly stabilise 100grn and 105grn, 1 in 10 may need a bit of trial and error to see what accuracy you are getting with the heavier bullets.

I sought advice on the powder when I started and although there are others H4350 certainly works for me.

I started off with a couple of boxes of Federal 80grn factory rounds and once fired loaded as you have described. After the first firing with the factory rounds the cases needed minimal trimming. The last couple of reloads have not needed trimmed at all as the AI case shape essentially prevents case stretching.

95 grains SST or Noslers do well with 44 grains of 160 behind them pushing IRO 3200

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bordersman View Post
    Hi chaps

I need some advice as I am about to reload for ai rifle. As I understand I can fireform using some ammo I reloaded in 243 and then use the brass and new dies to reload for the ai cartridge. Would this be correct? Also what sort of bullet heads would you suggest for fox Roe and fallow .

Atb Steve
    \

It's only correct if you are using new brass and loaded these yourself. Bullets for the 243 Winchester are the same as those you'd use for the AI. ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    \

It's only correct if you are using new brass and loaded these yourself. Bullets for the 243 Winchester are the same as those you'd use for the AI. ~Muir
    Muir actually makes a good point. I often wonder about people asking for load data on here, 'as one man's meat...'

Hence when I responded I pointed out 'whether that works in your rifle or not...' and 'certainly works for me...'

All I would say about the .243AI is that you won't go far wrong by starting with a load at maximum factory recommendation for .243 and working up from there watching for pressure signs and accuracy tailing off.
    Last edited by jamross65; 15-02-2011 at 13:21.

I am not one who automatically thinks that an Ackley chamber qualifies for maximum loads in the parent cartridge. I have in my possession, the last of a long string of Ackley guns I've owned, a 30-06 IMP, that maxes out at the same loads as the standard 30-06. I would be more cautious in my loading, starting with beginning loads for the 243 and working up from there... but that's me.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I am not one who automatically thinks that an Ackley chamber qualifies for maximum loads in the parent cartridge. I have in my possession, the last of a long string of Ackley guns I've owned, a 30-06 IMP, that maxes out at the same loads as the standard 30-06. I would be more cautious in my loading, starting with beginning loads for the 243 and working up from there... but that's me.~Muir
    Safety first Muir, but why would you have an issue with starting at maximum recommended loads for the standard cartridge in an AI configuration? Otherwise there would be no advantage or point in the AI other than less trimming perhaps being needed. I accept that the shoulder angle will cause differences in powder burn etc and therefore pressure variations but it would be unlikely to show much of a benefit in MV using the same powder load.

This is the first AI rifle I have owned and interested to hear comment from those more experienced than me.