Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask a simple question.....

Ask a simple question.....

I recieved an unsolicited email from an individual (not named as a club member in the email) selling an item that he blanket mailed to all the members of the rifle club I am a member of.
    I asked the club secretary politely via email if it was club protocol to sell or permit the use of the mailing list by individuals as I regarded my email address as personal and private and confidential to the original recipient (the club secretary).
    The sec' replied that he had given out the list and that I was 'po-faced' and 'un-comeradely' for questioning anything the club did as' shooters must support all other shooters in these trying times'.
    So when the club sec' calls you names what do you do? Am I naive to expect my email address to remain personal and private in this day and age?

I believe that is a breach of data protection and no you are not being naive, you have a legal right(i think).

I think by the letter of the law the secretary has committed a breech of protecting information protocol unless you signed to say that your information would be used in this way but on the other hand he is right you are being po-faced about it. What harm is it doing you in this instance? Ignore it and get on with your life.

Dave

D.D
    I asked a civil question and was answered with insults by an office bearing member of a club, that is what has raised my blood pressure. It may be 'no harm-no foul' but when did civility die?

Trying times or not you club secretary was out of line. Your right to be disgruntled, do you have a forth coming club AGM for instance where you can raise the matter? Or a chairman to address about the issue?

Sorry LLD I agree with Dave i am chairman of a group and would not pass on there details to other members but it might happen accidentally and i would say between members whats the harm.

Quote Originally Posted by longlowdog View Post
    D.D
    I asked a civil question and was answered with insults by an office bearing member of a club, that is what has raised my blood pressure. It may be 'no harm-no foul' but when did civility die?

Fair one if he was in the wrong which it looks like he probably was he should have perhaps offerd you a few platitudes rather than being rude to you.

Dave

Longlowdog,

It is not uncommon for a legitimate mailing from "the executive" to go out to all members. Whilst the recipient only sees himself as the recipient the information of all recipients can be gleaned with but a simple use of a tool.

Stan

Smullery,

You are right this is the simple use of the Blind Carbon Copy function. You still cant use it unless when you collected the information i.e. the email address the recipiant agreed to receive this type of info. that is the letter of the law but as I said perhaps not such a big deal in this case.

Dave

I suggested to the sec' that if the addresses had been hijacked by someone editing a legit message to their own ends that 'blind c-c' would prevent this but he said he voluntarily divulged all the addresses to the sender.
    I have had the same email address for 8 years, I recieve NO spam, my computer has Never had a virus. I ensure this state of affairs by giving serious consideration to those that I give my email details to. Spammers and virus propagators harvest addresses and I won't voluntarily invite them to screw with my computer. I took it as an item of trust that without my consent others would not divulge my details and unfortunately I was wrong.