Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed please on a suitable round for muntjak

Advice needed please on a suitable round for muntjak

Shortly going for weekend muntjac stalking , never shot one before could anyone please advise me on a proven or suitable round for these ?

I was thinking the .308 might be a bit much ? thought i would take the .243 i have some 70gn bt home loads that i used for foxing very accurate but never used them on deer, some factory remmy 75gn accutips ( v max i think ) that i have shot i quite few roe with but mixed results ie bit of damage to the ribs but no runners.

On the deer i shoot at home its no concern as just discard the damage so i have stuck with the accutips as they are a good fox round too, but i wouldn't want to make a mess of anyone else's deer with them .

just been raking around my loading gear found some speer 90gr spitzers ? any advice on loads or proven factory rounds for muntys would be gratefully welcomed.

The rifle is a Sako 75 varmint. Thanks in advance Df
    Last edited by Double four; 15-02-2011 at 13:35.

hi i have roe& fox with 75gr/87 v-max without a problem. also roe & fox and with 75gr soft points (speer ithink),the later making a lot more damage than the v-max, i have shot roe & fox in scotland with 223 50gr v-max every one dropt on the spot,i havnt shot any munty,s but i dont think you will have any problems with your 70/75 gr loads
    Last edited by bow; 15-02-2011 at 13:31.

Legal and in the right place

Take the .308, at least that way you can't be accused of being 'under gunned'. Also I assume you'll be using soft points in the .308 and not ballistic tips, so no worries about upsetting your host if turning up with ballistic tips, some are certainly not happy with guests turning up with them.

Tom

The 243 is more than good enough, but use a heavier slower bullet, not a varmint type BT.

87gr SP or heavier.

I shot four at the weekend with a 120gr BT in the 260, none moved an inch from the spot were they were hit, but there was a fair bit of carcass damage. This is a hunting type BT at 2900 FPS at the muzzle.

Previous to this year I have shot about 12-15 Munties all with my 270 and 140gr Interlock. The 270 did less damage than the 260 believe it or not.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I have shot a few with .308 150 gr sst go clean through exit hole about 1" not much damage [ ribs ] most ran about 30'.
    Now use .260 Rem 129 gr sp same amount of damage but 98% drop to shot [ don't ask me why ]
    Also have shot them with .22/250 twice lots of damage would not ever take the shot if presented while out with the .22/250.

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    The 243 is more than good enough, but use a heavier slower bullet, not a varmint type BT.

87gr SP or heavier.

I shot four at the weekend with a 120gr BT in the 260, none moved an inch from the spot were they were hit, but there was a fair bit of carcass damage. This is a hunting type BT at 2900 FPS at the muzzle.

Previous to this year I have shot about 12-15 Munties all with my 270 and 140gr Interlock. The 270 did less damage than the 260 believe it or not.
    +1

A heavy (or tough) bullet in the 308 is the way to go over a 243 with V-maxes for Muntjac IMO.

I shot three with a 30.06 loaded with 180 grain bullets at around 2500-2600 a couple of weekends ago; a small hole in, a small hole out and a muntjac dropping to the shot was the reaction each time, even if I clipped a bone on the way in. Another guy was using a 243 with 75 grain factory norma V-maxes and it was making quite a mess of the front half. This in itself isn't the problem I object too particularly, it's that around half of these chest shot munties had had their diaphragm punctured by the bits and were a little messy on the gralloch.

They are tough little buggers and can carry lead surprisingly well for their size. Check out the thickness of the hide on a mature buck next time you get a chance too see what I mean.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    The first Muntys I shot were with a .243 using Federal powershok 100gr (soft point). Wouldnt use Ballstic Tip as their skin is uery thick. 2 of the 3 shot had no exit hole *One neck shot at 15m, the other heart shot at 70m ish) ballitic tips just aint good enough for them IMHO. I'm sure some will disagree........

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

308s fine , youll get less damage with a big slow round

I shot a couple last year with .308 165 grain partitions and had very little damage so just stick with that. I know my .243 with 95 grain sst would have done loads of damage to the ribs.

Dave