Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable Shot / Kill Ratio

Account Suspended

Acceptable Shot / Kill Ratio

HI all I have just been reading a hunting report on another site part of the report says what a good result the guns had and how well they had done shooting 31 deer for 43 shots.

Now I have been taught than it should be pretty much one shot one kill.
    Of course sometimes you will need to finish a deer off and then there will be an occassional miss but these should be the execption.

One in four shots being a miss or wound seems a little too frequent for me.

I know I that was me I would of not been allowed out again until I had done some serious range time.

What do you guys think?

I think this could end up as more anti fodder if your not carefull

Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    HI all I have just been reading a hunting report on another site part of the report says what a good result the guns had and how well they had done shooting 31 deer for 43 shots.

Of course sometimes you will need to finish a deer off and then there will be an occassional miss but these should be the execption.

I know I that was me I would of not been allowed out again until I had done some serious range time.

What do you guys think?
    Exactly how I was taught CAM, there should be no other option. Yes, misses occur for one reason or another, but you should not pull the trigger if you are not sure of killing first time.
    Timney

any less than 10 for 8 incuding follow up shots to finish and I'd suggest you need to get closer to the deer before you shoot. Having a 4 to 3 ratio is poor in the British tradition of stalking anyway. Well IMO

I would expect a 90%+ ratio.

Oh, yeah, I was at said weekend.

There were a few experienced guys who had a few misses. There was a rank greenhorn who had a bunch of misses. There was another guy who had never stalked before and had four with four shots and did his own gralloch with a little help....

We were shooting Muntjac only.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

in some hunting traditions what they might refer to as "anchoring shots" and what we would call a "wounding miss" seem to be quite common and acceptable. I suspect such shots are either an accidental miss or are taken when only part of the animal is visible and such shots seem especially common among those keen on "long range hunting." It is also not unusual to hear those from other traditions talking about "breaking the animal down" and I suspect this refers to a series of "anchoring shots" fired until the beast gives up though fright or exhaustion.

While it is always easy to believe your own tradition is the best while others are flawed I think there are certainly some points to commend the British (I know it is not only a British thing but as we are mostly UK based it seems sensible to us an example everyone understands) tradition of sporting shots on static animals at relatively close range while having to break the beast down with a series of anchoring shots is viewed not just as a failure but also as a shameful event.

I haven't been stalking long and have had my own mistakes (one clean miss and another not so good shot though I found the deer dead after a short follow up) so I know only too well that bad things do happen but I think our ethic of clean one shot kills is something we should be proud of and we should stick to it.

Perhaps the article took into account it being a new rifle, and these additional shots were the running in and zeroing shots? Not seen the article so hard to say?

Tom

One shot one kill...anything else and you should be looking for reasons why it has happened.

Quote Originally Posted by srvet View Post
    One shot one kill...anything else and you should be looking for reasons why it has happened.
    That should be everyone's objective, does not always work out that way, better a clean miss than a wounded beast.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post

What do you guys think?
    How many deer did they shoot at?

If they killed 100% of what they shot at the ratio doesn't sound quite so bad. However, if they only killed 31/43rds (72%) of what they shot at, that's not so good.