Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why are Reloading Manuals so expensive?

Why are Reloading Manuals so expensive?

Recently it was decided that I really should update some of my reloading data so to that end have just acquired two new Reloading Manuals. As mentioned in another post after getting the Hornady 7th Edition I discovered than the 8th edition is out .

Today Speers 14th Ed arrived in the mail.

Flicking through it after unpacking it the thought that they have cut costs in it's production came to mind. Comparing it to #13 the photos are not as clear and despite the book being thicker it just feels cheaply made. Yet at nearly 30 it's not what one would call a cheap book.

So do those who buy and use these reloading manuals think they are well priced ?

When compared to my Vhit 1st ed manual a lot of them feel cheap. My original Hodgdons #26 is showing it's age from the wear of constant use but the Vhit manual still looks almost new. Far higher quality printing and binding. The Hornady one appears better than most of the ohers. I suppose time will tell and how well it holds up to use. I suppose I need to look at the Nosler one some time .

There is a lot of work behind that data... and a lot of responsibility. Stuff like that costs money.~Muir

Brit

As the man said when I bought my chainsaw trousers, 80 is a small price to pay for a leg. The manuals keep us safe and save us a lot of time and trouble, so I think they are excellent value for money.

Regards JCS

It is a combination of the work involved, as Muir says, but also a relatively small print run. If you set up a multicolour printing press to make a run of 10,000 copies, those individual copies might cost 5 each just to print. If the print run is 100,000 copies, the individual copies might be as little as 0.75 - 1.00 each.

Handloaders are a minority within a minority sport.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    It is a combination of the work involved, as Muir says, but also a relatively small print run. If you set up a multicolour printing press to make a run of 10,000 copies, those individual copies might cost 5 each just to print. If the print run is 100,000 copies, the individual copies might be as little as 0.75 - 1.00 each.

Handloaders are a minority within a minority sport.
    Handloaders are a minority within a minority sport in the UK. You mean.

Compare the cost/content to a copy of sporting rifle!

current Speer book 18 in the states... And remember that is not a 'Trade' price!

18 plus the local sales tax added at point of purchase.

Stan

As a newcomer to reloading, I am also facing the cost of all these books. I found the latest ABCs of reloading on Amazon at about 15 quid so that is on order now. I'll pick up others as I go along, however what I do wonder is why would we have to keep updating, unless we have bought new calibres etc not listed? How much of this stuff changes from one edition to the next? Small/incremental changes might be published in the book, and have no relevance to the individual, so it would be good to find out what differences there are before buying.

Well the Speer #14 cost 33 delivered from the UK.

18 in the US + 8 for the rip off post office doing it's job = 26 + the customs rip off and well you see.

As the Original Post question seeign as how for instance the Speer #13 went to at least two print runs and appears to be better quality printing than the new #14 why is the #14 so expensive? Short print runs I understand quite well having purchased a copy of John Knibbs book of which only 1000 were printed. Now that is a limited print run and yes that book was fairly expensive however the print quality and paper quality in it is mile betetr than this new Speer #14.

I shall try to see and handle the Nosler book before buying, providing of course I can find one that is not all shrink wrapped.

Now John_R, may I just point out that in the last few years there have not onyl been new cartridges but new powders on the market so this is not actually true:-

As a newcomer to reloading, I am also facing the cost of all these books. I found the latest ABCs of reloading on Amazon at about 15 quid so that is on order now. I'll pick up others as I go along, however what I do wonder is why would we have to keep updating, unless we have bought new calibres etc not listed? How much of this stuff changes from one edition to the next? Small/incremental changes might be published in the book, and have no relevance to the individual, so it would be good to find out what differences there are before buying.
    I have not brought the new Lee book as I have the 1st edition which I never use after a quick read. I was already quite a few years into handloading before I acquired a copy and really I only brought it out of interest as it was on offer cheap at The Sportsman and tacked it onto the order for my collimeter. Otherwise I would not have bothered. When I first started borrowed the manuals and when I brought my own it was the then new Hodgdons #26 which I chose because it had seveal powder choices and went by bullet weight not just make. The then Spper book I did not liek the layout of which by #12 they had improved to I brought that one then the later #13 and now #14.

Now to someone only loading one or two cartridges it might not seem worthwhile with the net info and all but when one is loading quite a few different cartridges it then becomes another ball game plus I happen to like books and books to do with guns and shooting .................................. well it take a lot to beat them . I just happen to think that we are not being treated as fairly by the folks at Blount as we should be .