swiss gun law vote

My friend Maria used to say they all had to do military service every year they called it their "green holidays" I was pretty gob smacked when this hot blonde pulled her assault rifle out of the cupboard.. that was it love at first sight..
and she was quite hot as well :lol:

Very pleased there are still a few folk not into the current gun phobia sweeping the rest of Europe !!!

Mind you I do recall there were quite a few shootings in Switzerland in the nineties involving these army guns when a partner had shot the other one over infidelities :eek: imagine if the missus had one of them babies :scared:

Spent some time there. You just can't get over how many gorgeous women there are.
Their version of the STABS meet up after work on Fridays already dressed in their DPMs and assault rifles at bus stations, train stations, etc.
I heard that the police tend to refer to Fridays as a quiet day. Who in their right mind would try to rob a bank when there are so many folks around with assault rifles and 3 loaded magazines?

This is interesting.The lack of security is a bit jaw dropping though.

BBC News - Switzerland votes on keeping guns at home

56.3% voted to keep the law as is.

In contrast, here even the forestry commission guy's are worried about being seen with a rifle by the public.

fraser

It seems surprising at first: more guns at home than anywhere else in the world, but perhaps the lowest murder rate with guns anywhere in the world. Also, one of the lowest crime rates too.

I used to work there and you would regularly see people with rifles at the station or in shops. Switzerland is pretty interesting regarding politics and arms. The Swiss do not have a standing army as such. Effectively, everyone is in the army, hence the rifles at home. To mobilize, you just grab your rifle and ammo and off you go. No going along to a depot first. A lot of people mention that Switzerland is neutral, but few mention that is is a fierce, armed, neutrality. Shooting is a national pastime.

The politics are interesting as well. Any citizen can call a referendum. Providing he has a petition with so many signatures (100,000, I think), he can trigger a referendum on a topic of his choice. You do not have to wait for the politicians to vote on whether you can have a referendum or not.

I was impressed when I was there.

It seems surprising at first: more guns at home than anywhere else in the world, but perhaps the lowest murder rate with guns anywhere in the world. Also, one of the lowest crime rates too.

A lot of people mention that Switzerland is neutral, but few mention that is is a fierce, armed, neutrality. Shooting is a national pastime.

I was impressed when I was there.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin.

Not that this has anything to do with legitimate UK gun ownership or deerstalking but, maybe Mr Franklin was right.

About six years ago I used to travel to Switzerland about once a month on business. It was quite a head turner on a Friday afternoon at the main railway station in Geneva, hundreds of 19-22 year old kids milling about in civvies with automatic rifles hanging off them. Some had the rifle stuffed in a sports bag with the barrel sticking out like a tennis racket.

I thought it was great....

About six years ago I used to travel to Switzerland about once a month on business. It was quite a head turner on a Friday afternoon at the main railway station in Geneva, hundreds of 19-22 year old kids milling about in civvies with automatic rifles hanging off them. Some had the rifle stuffed in a sports bag with the barrel sticking out like a tennis racket.

I thought it was great....

A few years back some pals and me were in Krakow on holiday with our wives.

I'm not sure why but us guys decided that a train trip out of the city would be an interesting day's entertainment. It was too.

At one wee village, well out of the city, the train stopped to pick a guy up. He was just stood at the side of the track, no station or anything, flagging us down like a bus. Poland's like that. Anyway, on he gets, this guy, in cammo and long lacing boots, ready for a days shooting and over his shoulder is slung his kit bag with a single barrel fold up 12b shotgun sticking out for all to see. Of course, no-one else on the train even batted an eyelid and us guys just gave a wee shrug and a grin to one another.

I thought that was great too.

Last edited:
It is interesting isn't it. I'm moving over to Switzerland for work and am hoping to do a fair bit of shooting as well. Very 'refreshing' compared to our Firearms laws...

I have been skiing in Switzerland for more years than I care to admit to :D in some resorts its not uncommon to have to move assault rifles out of the way to get your skis out of the carriers on the trains! and every village has a range, even if they had to use dynamite to make a space in the mountain :D

I have been skiing in Switzerland for more years than I care to admit to :D in some resorts its not uncommon to have to move assault rifles out of the way to get your skis out of the carriers on the trains! and every village has a range, even if they had to use dynamite to make a space in the mountain :D

The hills are alive with the sound of gunfire :)

Tamus - nothing to add to the comments re assault rifles but I was well taken with the wolves/lamb quote, good tee-hee over that one

They were never invaded, never hassled & always respected. wonder why :smug: As the US of A ! Ever wonder if the poo poo hit the fan , who would get the a$$ kicked......I for one would have money on the home side.

If taught & with national service skills, the respect for firearms was inpalce .why the h3ll not. Good on ya Switzerland ;)

of all the places in the world which I have visited or worked, I never felt safer than when in Switzerland
Scrumbag, you lucky g1t!

As an aside, Vermont in the good old USA has the highest level of legal gun ownership and the lowest level of gun crime. The opposite also applies. I honestly think that the do gooders make things so much worse with their "terrible weapons" spiel! The truth is that this attracts the macho and the inadequate. Most sensible people see guns and knives as tools and use them as such. You can kill someone with a hammer or a spanner but they aren't listed as weapons!

Rant over,

David.

of all the places in the world which I have visited or worked, I never felt safer than when in Switzerland
Scrumbag, you lucky g1t!

Geoshot, if you want to come over and waste some ammo with some interesting hardware you're more than welcome!
(If anyone else is interested, this is the catalogue from the local gun shop and what has got him excited: http://catalogue.lagardere.ch/catalogue/catalogue.pdf)

As an aside, Vermont in the good old USA has the highest level of legal gun ownership and the lowest level of gun crime. The opposite also applies. I honestly think that the do gooders make things so much worse with their "terrible weapons" spiel! The truth is that this attracts the macho and the inadequate. Most sensible people see guns and knives as tools and use them as such. You can kill someone with a hammer or a spanner but they aren't listed as weapons!

Rant over,

David.

Kalahari, I assume it's just a question of date with you!

Back