Variation for deer rifle

nicholiath

I currently hold fac for hornet and rimfire on local land. I wish to apply for a variation for 30.06 to complete dsc1 with a view to then purchasing shooting. Is it possible to hold such a rifle without local land? if so how does one go about zeroing etc.

IF you can prove good reason to possess said rifle, then that should be reason enough, book some days, have written proof from the "Paid day supplier" disclose all this information at the time of variation.

As for zeroing, if you have an "Open Ticket" zeroing shouldn't be a problem on the land you currently shoot over, providing the land is suitable. Failing that, find a local range that can be used. There is always the Paid Day Stalking supplier, you could always ask if they can assist you with zeroing? Some might infact request you shoot into a target prior to stalking to show that you can shoot so they might already have a 100m range for just that purpose.

Hope that helps.

TJ

I would have thought the fact that you are booked into doing DSC1 would be reason enough to get a stalking rifle on your ticket.
Good luck with it but you shouldn't need any :)

You'll have no problem getting the rifle.... but it's very likely that they will restrict when and where
you can use it.
They call it the "accompanied stalking" condition. Basically it's mentoring, except your mentor needs to be an accomplished stalker with the relevant qualifications.
I've been having some trouble with this recently, I did the paid stalks and applied for the rifle, got it but with the condition.
Since been stalking with 2 other people on several occasions but neither of them have DSC1 so not accepted as "accomplished stalkers"
At the moment I am waiting for a reply from where I did my paid stalks to provide documented evidence.

I can almost promise that the will suggest you consider a smaller calibre like .243 which they will spin as deer legal for all uk deer but choice of calibre is down personal taste and what you say to justify it. Having said that if you can show you have been stalking either as a paying guest or invited by a friend with some stalking there should be no problem.

Saying good reason is not the same as showing it so any letters or confirmation of days booked would help lots. It's up to us to proove good reason and my first centrefire was a .308. good luck!

I can almost promise that the will suggest you consider a smaller calibre like .243 which they will spin as deer legal for all uk deer but choice of calibre is down personal taste and what you say to justify it. Having said that if you can show you have been stalking either as a paying guest or invited by a friend with some stalking there should be no problem.

Saying good reason is not the same as showing it so any letters or confirmation of days booked would help lots. It's up to us to proove good reason and my first centrefire was a .308. good luck!
They probably will but i want 30.06 as i wish to use it for boar aswell.

You can ask for boar to be added to your quarry list too "as you will be going to book shooting in the UK soon ;)". Boar will be a full justification for a 30-06 if you think they may and try to scale you down.

IF you can prove good reason to possess said rifle, then that should be reason enough, book some days, have written proof from the "Paid day supplier" disclose all this information at the time of variation.

As for zeroing, if you have an "Open Ticket" zeroing shouldn't be a problem on the land you currently shoot over, providing the land is suitable. Failing that, find a local range that can be used. There is always the Paid Day Stalking supplier, you could always ask if they can assist you with zeroing? Some might infact request you shoot into a target prior to stalking to show that you can shoot so they might already have a 100m range for just that purpose.

Hope that helps.

TJ

As I just mentioned in a reply to another thread I just got my FAC for my .243 and .270 (both moderated) renewed with no named ground as I explained that these days I just buy paid days. (I don't have DCS1). The only other factor might be that this is my 4th FAC renewal with the same constabulary.

Back