Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bullets ?

bullets ?

right what bullet would u guys recoment for a 243 but got to have the nockdown power to shoot from foxes up to red deer i want one bullet to do all the same job but when shooting red it will be neck shot so any idears please chaps

I use a 110gr vmax (in .270) for hinds and foxes, it will make a hell of a mess of a fox though, if you are shooting skinners it's ok but there is a huge amount of meat damage (you will lose both sholders and if you clip the spine it will bruise the saddle).

Quote Originally Posted by bennunn View Post
    right what bullet would u guys recoment for a 243 but got to have the nockdown power to shoot from foxes up to red deer i want one bullet to do all the same job but when shooting red it will be neck shot so any idears please chaps
    100gr SP.
    But what makes you think you will only neck shoot Reds and not ever heart / lung shoot them? 100gr will be fine for fox's if you hit them in the right place and if you can't hit them in the right place you shouldn't even consider neck shooting a Red.
    It's perfectly possible to find two different rounds for your rifle and adjust the scope accordingly. e.g. my 100gr shoot 3 clicks right (and slightly higher, which is perfect) of my 85gr at 100yards. 3 clicks and I've adjusted for the other round, simple.
    As an Under-keeper, when you are out for fox's will you really need a bullet for Reds at the same time?

100gr sp will do for both, if as the previous poster said you can put it in the right place, also as previous poster said you
    can adjust the scope, to suit , or if you are a home loader its possible to load two different bullet weights to shoot to the same P.O.A. just takes a bit of time in my case 100 gr sp and 95gr B/tip shoot to same P.O.A tried some 80gr factory ammo and only a half inch difference at 100 yards , would imagine that it would be possible to load 80gr to shoot to same P.O.A as 100gr might take a bit of time working out loads but should be possible.

Below is an example shot by a Tikka T3 Hunter .243 which I sold recently on this site.
    With 75gr V.Max. re-loaded bullets shooting half-an-inch above centre of the bullseye the 100gr SP Privi Partisan shot as shown on the target.
    That bullet would be suitable for either Foxes or Deer but personally I would prefer a larger calibre for Reds.

HWH.
    [ picture missing, will try again ! ]
    Last edited by stag1933; 18-02-2011 at 10:45. Reason: lost picture.

I can recommend nothing higher than Norma 100g SP's for factory ammo. shot plenty of fox, roe and reds with this, always had perfect results. First time I used Federal I was disappointed, just IMHO and observation.

You will find the 100g if it stabilises fine, will drop around 1.1" at 150 yds, 3.6" at 200 yds, and 7.8" at 250 yds. unless you have a BDC, or you shoot fox close-in, you might find a flatter round better for fox, as often foxing is done at the 125-250 yard range, and on that small body, it might be tricky getting an accurate 7.8" holdover at 250yds.. however, if you, like me, shoot both fox, roe, and red within 175 yards and no longer, you don't really need a flatter shooting round.

...of course,,I am now reloading 87g for fox and roe, and will be using .308 for reds with 168g rounds

95 grain Noslers or SST tend to shoot well in most 243 rifles. I have shot a lot of roe with them and a few sika and muntjack and had ne reason to question their performance other than the damage can be a bit excesive in comparison to my 165 grain CDP 308.

Dave

Just to add, foxes definately dont like them, dont tend to get many runners.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    Just to add, foxes definately dont like them, dont tend to get many runners.

Dave
    I should hope so too!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Still have some 105 gn Speer roundnose in 243, best bullet for all deer in 243, Ecoman, you must remember these as well. deerwarden