Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Record Keeping Spreadsheet

Record Keeping Spreadsheet

Following on from the cull record keeping thread, it has been bought to my attention that we have a member of the site who has the ability to produce such things, and also the generous nature that allows him to offer to do so, well I did ask. So with the chance of a spreadsheet being developed specifically for stalkers it will need input from stalkers. Therefore if you could put forward your ideas as to what should be included, it's feasibility will be considered.

I would like to say here and now there will not be separate columns for either "string" or "cable tie", nor will LP, EP or single be entertained, Legal you listening. So get thinking what would you like to see included. Why do I get this funny feeling

Now in order for this to work think like this,

What questions would you want your stalking records to answer for you?

e.g.

Do I see more does in the hour before dusk than in the hour after dawn.

Do younger beasts come out sooner than older ones.

How far do they run when hit with a 243 as opposed to a 308.

Because that is its real purpose. Not only will this be helpful to you as an individual but if collated properly with an online, in house version, it could prove useful to others as well, maybe even identifying national trends, we do cover the Country between us remember

John

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Would this be an individual record sheet or a "Live Document " that all members could add info to so we can get an accurate Country cull sheet, but also let Members download for personal record keeping?

Could this be developed into 2 Spread Sheets?

The first being County Orientated, this then links automatically to a Country spreadsheet.

I am no computer boffin, Internet, Word and Excel are about my limit (limited), I wouldn't know how to do it...

Just a thought

TJ

It could sit on your PC at home for your own use, or it could sit on a server somewhere, for everyones use. You could even stick your copy on a server. But that's a bit far away yet!

It'll start as a personal use tool.

What do you want it to do for you is the question.

Davie
    First off i would like a sheet to tell me how long after sunrise i normally see / shoot deer as opposed to a certain time if that is possible. Or sunset i feel times put in have no relevance at certain times of year because of the huge swing between time of year and sunrise / sun set times.

I know people keep their own, which is what you'd expect, but others like me will be a bit casual/minimal about it. On the other 'record' post there were some good suggestions as well as some good references, a quick trawl revealed these (I hadn't thought there'd be so many variables!). All hail to original posters.

I also know there are commercial databases available but hey! something for free which is a bit of fun and you get to design yourself.

The last one is from 6.5x55.

Activity - stalk/observation only
    Shot taken - why not?
    Time of stalk
    date,
    Location, grid ref, spcific beat stalked
    Stalker
    guest or assistant,
    rifle,
    bullet wieght,
    distance of shot,
    distance run,
    carcass wieght,
    antler size and description
    pregnancy/No. Foetus,
    taken to the dealers
    weather conditions.

time of the shot,
    approximate age,
    weight
    condition of the deer,
    reaction to the shot
    anything strange etc in the gralloch.
    Habitat Type,
    Highseat or On Foot,
    Species,
    Sex,
    Tag Number & whether purchased or sold to gamedealer..
    carcasses inspection
    other comments

how long after sunrise / before sunset

... go on add some more.

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Shot placement?

As you have gathered by now snowstorm is the inspiration behind this. A comment he made on the other thread about records prompted me to ask him if it was possible. So as he said yes, and he will be the one compiling it and making sense of it all, I think it is only fair that any request by him with regard to data etc is complied with. This could be good

So, thinking caps on.

John

Just to point out as well, the taol won't wag the dog on this one - it may be a spreadsheet or it may stand alone app. Form follows function.

Anyway, here's another:

auto link to google earth - to pin litle flags in where you did what on your patch.

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5 x 55
    First off i would like a sheet to tell me how long after sunrise i normally see / shoot deer as opposed to a certain time if that is possible. Or sunset i feel times put in have no relevance at certain times of year because of the huge swing between time of year and sunrise / sun set times.
    Interesting, but I think you'd have to also factor in things like moon phase, the temp, and perhaps weather conditions..Depending on the moon phase, weather conditions and where you are (eg deep shaded forest or open farm land) the light conditions say one hour after sunrise can be radically different from one morning to the next...

This, along with other factors such as disturbance of the ground, and adjacent crops rotations, will all effect the way deer will move..

I suspect from a simple idea, you could almost do a full PHD thesis on it lol!

Regards,

Pete

Good - got those in there.

What else can we think of?