Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bore guide

bore guide

hi i am looking for a bore guide to fit my sako 75 6.5 x55 finlight
    been told some bore guides wont fit the sako action, what do you use?
    also is there a universal bore guide that will fit the sako and a tikka 223,?

Bow

You are correct. I got my Sako 75 from York Guns. I would ask them for a suitable bore guide. I got my bore guide from the US and then had to order a smaller collar, but I don't see them sold any more online. Sinclair International will have a range of bore guides available online and will respond to queries. I don't know anything about Tikkas.

Good luck. JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 18-02-2011 at 21:39.

I have just had a bore guide made by Mike Lucas for my Sako 75 in 6.5x55. I also have a cartridge/action specific bore guide from Sinclair and a Stoney point adjustable job that fits my Rem 700(308w) as well as 2 Sako 75's in 6.5 and 222. Hope this helps.
    Toby

Bow,

Its a problem.

I bought a Stoney Point one for my Sako 85, which didn't fit. A member on here (Callie) lives near me and is an engineer. He very kindly turned down the collar on his lathe until it fitted.

I suggest that unless you have access to a lathe and someone to operate it you are best off taking your rifle to you local RFD and trying the boreguides out while you're in the shop. I was promised that the one I bought would fit but Callie skimmed almost a millimetre off before it did.

Cheers,

Bob

Can you not drill out the back end of a 6,5x55 case and use that? I epoxy a 6" section of plastic tubing to the back end of a case prepared in this manner and use it. Not fancy, but inexpensive and readily available.~Muir

If in doubt, cut the base off a fired case and aradlite a cut-to-length piece of plastic water (plumbing) pipe onto it. Being a fired case this fits perfectly and makes a reasonable seal - any excess is always cleaned with a swab through the chamber anyway...cost ~2!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oly View Post
    If in doubt, cut the base off a fired case and aradlite a cut-to-length piece of plastic water (plumbing) pipe onto it. Being a fired case this fits perfectly and makes a reasonable seal - any excess is always cleaned with a swab through the chamber anyway...cost ~2!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Can you not drill out the back end of a 6,5x55 case and use that? I epoxy a 6" section of plastic tubing to the back end of a case prepared in this manner and use it. Not fancy, but inexpensive and readily available.~Muir
    Took a phone call whilst composing my response...obviously great minds thinking alike!!

+1 on Oly and Muir's ideas - I used two cases though... Discussion here - How's this for a bore guide?
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

Hello Bow, I've a 6.5x55 in a Sako 75 and got a guide from Reloading Solutions for the action about a year ago. Under 20.

hi macberran,
    do you have the make of the bore guide please