Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BASC calls for uniform approach to firearms licensing

BASC calls for uniform approach to firearms licensing

You may have heard about this on the BBC etc this morning. There are fresh calls for 'full cost recovery' on shotgun and fiareams licencing

BASC is calling for police forces across the country to take a consistent and efficient approach to firearms licensing before any increase in fees is considered.

BASC is calling on police forces to put their houses in order. The police have asked the Government for a 400 per cent increase in firearms licensing fees which they say will cover costs.

BASC's experience of working with its members shows that approaches by police firearms licensing departments are often inconsistent and inefficient.

BASC’s director of firearms Bill Harriman will discuss the issue with crime prevention minister James Brokenshire and representatives of other shooting organisations at a meeting on Tuesday.

Bill Harriman said: “We want a consistent approach. We want all police forces to follow Home Office guidelines which is not being done across the board. They have got to conform to this standard. They cannot ask for ‘full cost recovery’ on licence fees before they show that they are efficient, that costs are minimised and that a standardised approach to licensing is applied across the country.

BASC is the only body in the country to collate the problems experienced with firearms licensing and its operation nationwide. Police inefficiency must not be rewarded by Government.

We want a full and thorough examination of licensing procedures across every police force in the country to make sure they are firstly adhering to Home Office guidelines and secondly applying a consistent and practical approach to firearms licensing.

Firearms licensing has to do two things. It has to protect public safety and the peace and allow the continued lawful use of firearms.

Protecting public safety is a public good, therefore it is not unreasonable that part of the cost should be borne by the public purse.”

More news when I have it

David

Account Suspended
    400 percent increase equates to over £200 for an application which will price out Firearm users across the spectrum of those involved in our sport should these proposals go ahead.

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    400 percent increase equates to over £200 for an application which will price out Firearm users across the spectrum of those involved in our sport should these proposals go ahead.
    How else do you think they can reduce numbers of firearms? They can not go and ban them all, as that has been shown to have no effect on reducing gun crime. This way the government and police forces can do what they want, without actually forcing anyone to give up shooting, plus I should imagine the extra revenue will come in handy for someone somewhere.
    Last edited by GarethW; 18-02-2011 at 13:51. Reason: missed a word

its a catch 22, I'm not sure we should be subsidised by the tax payer, its something hard to justify to the general public. At that cost its £40 a year so not too big an issue for most but the bigger issue would be if they want to bring in even more checks on this that and the other and shorter licensing terms it could be the tip of the iceberg. Its one of the things I can't remember going up in price since I've been shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    I'm not sold on that. £200 for a co-terminous renewal, £40 per year £3.33 per month. Not a lot when you look at the cost of ammo, shotgun cartridges, guns. I did think things were very cheap when you get a home visit all for £50 grant fee!

Quote Originally Posted by GarethW View Post
    How else do you think they can reduce numbers of firearms?
    It won't stop me... it's my only vice

But I would like to think that the service would improve 400% too, it's only fair
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I'm not sold on that. £200 for a co-terminous renewal, £40 per year £3.33 per month. Not a lot when you look at the cost of ammo, shotgun cartridges, guns. I did think things were very cheap when you get a home visit all for £50 grant fee!
    There are those in the community who could not afford £200 for a certificate who are unemployed or retired with little income who will have to give up shooting as they will not be able to afford it. Under these hard times we are experiencing at present I very much doubt that they would agree with your take on it.

More bad science.
    Proportionaility must apply if we continue to add the public safety element. This is an issue something that FAC/SGC owners do not own, and should therefore be paid for by the taxpayer (much like pub licences). The most expensive element of control is the visit (offcier hours and expenses) and administrative components such as variations.
    PNC stores all criminal data, NFLMS (if it could join up properly) stores all the SGC/FAC data, NHS records are now online - what is left?
    Land checks? The shooter owns the duty of care for that too.
    I'd like to see how this pans out from BASC.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

I had my FO visit wensday passed and he was talking to me about how much it cost and one of the biggest worry,s he had was the Doctor check. They only do it if they feel something might be wrong and even then they get a letter from the Doctors and a bill for £60. He was at my house for a good hour filling in his bits and chatting. Then it wil got through the next few stages and so on. For me they should make the renewal easier for exsistinf FAC holder and could cut a lot of work out. ege 8 photos to full apllication to go through for a co terminuos why not have one form.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    But I would like to think that the service would improve 400% too, it's only fair
    I couldn't agree more - here in Northern Ireland it is not uncommon for variations and renewals to take 12 - 24 months. Now I know BASC met with them to try and reduce this and I have no idea if there has been any significant improvement but when other forces can do it in weeks why does ours take years?

So, I might not be too annoyed about paying £200 if it means that I can be sure of having my certificate back in less than a month as I take the rifle away a few times a year so there is no good time for me to be without the certificate.