Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to homeloding

new to homeloding

Right I have had to "bite the bullet"
    Sorry for that but couldn't help myself........

I am now doing enough shooting that I will seriously have to consider homeloading to keep costs down, that and I'm a gadget freak and homeloading looks like a serious opportunity for some tackle-tart fun.

OK, what do you guys recommend, Lee or RCBS? Other options?
    Any homeloaders in the West London/Middlesex area who could lend a hand or give advice?

Any suggestions apart from 'feck off an wise up' are welcomed.

ATB
    Geoshot

Ok, just my very humble opinion...I have purchased a Lee Classic Loader kit for my .243 - 35 inc. shipping. 100 87g hornady bthp bullets - 26, 1/2lb varget 40. 100 cc1 benchrest large rifle primers - 10. digital scales (10)..and yes, they ARE accurate (will tell you why later), digital calibers 15, Lee chamfer tool 3. Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner 3. Total cost, just over 100 squid and good to go using my existing used brass :-).

I REALLY enjoy reloading using this kit, it is INCREDIBLY easy to use, and insanely accurate. For my purposes, there's no need for a stack of other equipment - get this, test some loads, have some fun, be safe, and see how much further you want to take your reloading. If you want to reload 100's of rounds at a time, or multiple calibre's, then yeah, go for the full 'set' of work-bench stuff..otherwise 'do' try this kit out before you spend a fortune.

Oh, and the digital scales...I calculate both grain and gram weight, the grain goes to one decimal place, but the gram goes to 3 decimal places, so you can measure powder to the grain, and double-check/refine using the gram conversion! works to the point...

again, just my thoughts,,and of course, do lots of reading on the subject, but a couple of weeks reading before going to sleep should get you in top shape I'd think...

Geoshot, if cost is your main reason then i would buy some prvi.. i have never bought factory fullbore ammo ever.. and reload not because of cost. You will really enjoy it. I have a mix of lee and RCBS stuff. Get the best you can afford and to be honest, get a well built press, its this bit of kit which takes a hammering..

Once you start, you wont stop! Its a fascinating subject!

I'm in London mate and have been home loading for a few years now.

PM me your number and we'll arrange to meet up.

If you want to keep costs down then my advice is to limit the gadgets as everytime you try something new you have to work up loads and shoot at targets and so on. It isn't long before the cost of all this adds up.

Muir who posts on here is a big fan of a Lee (I think) handheld press type thing rather than the traditional bench mounted job and he will be able to point you at getting completely set up for not a lot of cash.

When people ask this question I always post the same photo of the gear I load with. I'm not saying this is the best or that you can't do it with less but this is what I'm using to successfully load my own ammo. Not in the photo is my press and also a powder funnel.

I'm loading for 308W and am finding that my loads with Hornady spire points are costing about 80p and with Nosler Partitions about 1.15 but this doesn't count the capital equipment cost. Given this I would suggest that you might not save a lot of cash and for me the main advantage is continuity of supply - I can keep the components so I can load up enough rounds of my favourite load to keep me going for a long time. My experience with local gun shops is that one day they would have Federal ammo, the next day it would be something different and I'd have to re-zero and so on. I'd also suggest that you work up a load not based on fancy stuff you read about on the internet but on powder, primers and bullets that are readily and consistently available locally to you. Nothing worse than having worked up a load only to find that the components are no longer available.

Thanks guys,
    To be honest, cost is an excuse not a reason, I really don't expect to save much - if any - cash by the time I buy all the bits for homeloading.
    It's maybe just like fly fishing, once I got into it I wanted to tie my own flies, now that I'm properly into shooting I want my own loads.

Grandhubert, thanks, and a PM on its way to you.

ATB
    Geoshot

Geoshot

Some more suggestions, buy a reloading manual, read lots and write down what you do. Also a couple of links to browse:

The Rifleman's Journal: Articles Index
    The Reloading Press - Your best source for all things Reloading
    Daily Bulletin

Good luck. JCS

The RCBS reloading DVD would be beneficial.
    The trouble with learning from others is they might not be as perfect as they would like to think.
    One tip is to never have more than one type of powder around when loading to avoid confusing them. Using the load for a slow burning powder and actually loading a fast burning powder could be fatal. I keep the powder I am using right next to the loading press and all the others away in in storage.

Quote Originally Posted by geoshot View Post
    Right I have had to "bite the bullet"
    Sorry for that but couldn't help myself........

I am now doing enough shooting that I will seriously have to consider homeloading to keep costs down, that and I'm a gadget freak and homeloading looks like a serious opportunity for some tackle-tart fun.

OK, what do you guys recommend, Lee or RCBS? Other options?
    Any homeloaders in the West London/Middlesex area who could lend a hand or give advice?

Any suggestions apart from 'feck off an wise up' are welcomed.

ATB
    Geoshot
    Hi Geoshot
    I`m just north of London but not out of the way if you want to pop up for a quick lesson in reloading or just have someone looking over your shoulder while you put your first few together you are more than welcome to head up this way mate.
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

Quote Originally Posted by geoshot View Post
    It's maybe just like fly fishing, once I got into it I wanted to tie my own flies, now that I'm properly into shooting I want my own loads.
    EXACTLY