Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle Shooting Corvids

Rifle Shooting Corvids

Does anyone have any wiley tricks they use to outwit crows and maggies? We are over-run at the moment and I need to break out every trick in the book. The trapping regime will obviously be the cornerstone and is starting in earnest but I will be mopping up with the 17 HMR and every trick helps!

Quote Originally Posted by liamnjs View Post
    Does anyone have any wiley tricks they use to outwit crows and maggies? We are over-run at the moment and I need to break out every trick in the book. The trapping regime will obviously be the cornerstone and is starting in earnest but I will be mopping up with the 17 HMR and every trick helps!
    branchers in april...
    17 rem @ 350+ yds

[Admin note: 'branchers' = young birds, NOT birds sat on branches!!!]
    Last edited by csl; 20-02-2011 at 09:51.

Get in position before first light and you should get a few as they straggle in. Not the easiest of pests to deal with!

Ill shoot a rabbit or pigeon through a gateway or hedge gap and leave it where it falls then just take a peep at it every time i pass on my rounds , if you can hit the rabbit you can hit what evers feeding on it and you already know its safe . dont shoot branchers with a rifle youll kill someone

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    branchers in april...
    17 rem @ 350+ yds

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    branchers in april...
    17 rem @ 350+ yds
    ROBBOSAM ! your back

Pigeon magnet with 2 dead crows on, get apx 5 - 10 of the best crow decoys (the ones that have a material coating on them) get in a hide and off you go. Between 2 of us over 3 trips in the summer last year we shot apx 350. Also if you decided that you wanted to take some photos of the crows whilst flying past you could invest in a digital caller with crow call to bring them closer for the photo...apprently they work very well

The magnets good with a dead fox and the crows whizzing about above

A trick tought to me by an old keeper (in his eighties) is set up a hide, get a couple of friends to walk out to the hide with you and then leave you there 20 mins later and walk away, crows can't count too good and think everybody has left, this worked realy well dealing with crows taking eggs in the pheasant laying pens and on the spring lambs, especially if they have a food source there (Dead animal, eggs or even feed troughs) it worked for me!
    failing that, i use a digital U-CALLER to great effect

Tikkat3

Early in a hide with a big eagle owl decoy on a fence post or wall top . Get out now , before the leaf bursts , find nests then go back and shoot her off when shes sitting its better to wait till they hatch as she will leave eggs but not chicks if you miss her first time . See if you cn find a roost site as their still together now and youll kill loads if you can find one