Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder thrower

Powder thrower

Has anyone got a powder thrower that is reliable to within 0.1 grain? My Redding thrower is +/- 0.5 and it taked hours to load 50 bullets accurately.

Account Suspended
    Do you not just set it under your require load chuck it into a balance pan and trickle it up to the mark like most of us do.

My RSBS thrower is pretty accurate but even so i always set it few grs below, should never rely on total throwing with any of them.

Nigel

I use an RCBS powder throw. I throw under my target weight, then trickle up to the desired weight on the electronic scales. I use tweezers to add/remove the last kernel if required. I expect the powder weights to come out within +-0.05 gr. With the electronic scales it is quite quick. My powder throw can vary by a grain, so I adjust it to nearly always be throwing light. Harrell's have a good reputation, but I haven't used one myself.

harrell powder throw - Google Search

Regards JCS

Just got my self a Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser, Used it twice, just can't fault it at all
    Loaded 200 bullets up to now and thrown every load spot on
    was getting a bit p*****off with throwing loads just under and trickling the rest maybe worth a look good saving on the rcbs!!

Thank you guys. I'm just trying to find something that I don't have to spend time pulling kernels out of the scales to get it perfect. If I had confidence that a thrower was accurate the process would be much faster. Thanks for the tip on the Harrell, does anyone else have experience of these?

i asked similar question not long ago.....reloading solutions do the HARREL powder measure think cheapest one is about 90 quid i think

im using a lee powder measure and trickle up......

i was told it has everything to do with type of powder your using....im using vhit n160 and its odd shaped grains not spherical and i wa told that makles a big difference.....

big stu what powder are you using thru that powder measure? does it have odd or spherical grains??

cheers
    sauer /paul

Hi sauer I'm putting varget powder through it which isn't the best to use in these type of scales but it throws spot on.
    Set on auto fast speed, I am truly amazed how accurate they are as soon as the pan is placed back on the scale it zero's and starts dispensing straight away
    Middway UK had them on special offer afew weeks ago so i thought id give them ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post
    Has anyone got a powder thrower that is reliable to within 0.1 grain? My Redding thrower is +/- 0.5 and it taked hours to load 50 bullets accurately.
    What powder are you using? This subject has been flogged like a dead horse, but there are few if any (none) powder measures that will toss all powders to .5 grains. As I am fond of saying, i you need that accuracy, change powders! ~Muir

I'm using R15 in the 6.5 Lapua and IMR7828 in the 6mm06 AI. The 6.5 shoots .3 MOA off a sand bag and the 6mm .5 so don't want to change powders. The Hornaday option sounds very good Big Stu. I might have to give it a go.

RL 15 is very similar to varger powder, check out some of the clips on you tube regarding the hornady powder dispenser!!!