Mouse gets a hat trick..

Danger Mouse

As some of you know I recently bought a new add on night vision scope and I decided to add to this by buying an adjustable lazer illuminator, last night it has landed on my door step so I decided to take it out for a trial run.
It was blowing a hoolie and where I was going there are 3 x 12,000 bird chicken sheds, one of these is in a lower field but I have never seen a fox in this field before and so if I was going to be able to keep out of the freezing wind and keep my scent away from old Charlie then it was going to have to be this field, and snuggled in right up to the shed wall. I took the farmers lad (Ryan) with me as he's dead keen and a real nice kid too, anyway, he's good for carrying stuff and cutting dead foxes heads off! :lol:
So we did have a quick walk round but saw nothing, it was soon apparrent that this icy cold wind was not going to let up so we went to the bottom shed and set up. The wind in this field was a lot less than that in the top fields and so we decided that this was a good place to settle in for the night.
The time now was about 7:45pm and we started the caller going, after 5 minutes or so I got contact with a pair of eyes, :eek: I asked Ryan to set the sticks up and whilst he did this I connected the add on to the scope. I picked the fox up again and he was making from right to left but just behind him were some houses and so no safe shot was on, although he was there for the taking, I waited my time and eventually he came further into a safe area, well, safe? not for him! He started to run up the hedge row and I called out "OY" to him and he stopped, BANG, THUD! One fox down, we went to get it but he was the wrong side of the 7 wire electric fence and I hate electric fences! :confused: so it was stopping where it lay.
We settled back into the same place, half an hour passed and then on the top hedgerow about 250 yards away I could make out the shape of a fox, he was just mooching about, we started to call and he looked straight at me, he turned and continued on his path and then started to make his way towards us. I whispered to Ryan to get ready to turn the caller off and when he got in a comfortable range (about 110 yards) I told him to turn it off, foxy stopped and as I lined up the shot he turned broadside, I gently squeezed the trigger and send 150 grains of .308 Sierra Spitzer into him, he fell over and that was the end of another Chicken killer. :D

Photo101.jpg

Photo100.jpg

We decided that as it was cold and windy that we would wait to see if any more came our way, 10 minutes later and our prayers were answered, I was just resting the rifle on the sticks and still with the NV attached, I had a quick look around and about 65 yards away was another fox! I just said to Ryan, "another fox there" placed my crosshairs and sent another Charlie to the great Fox den in the sky. Ryan went to retrieve this one too (Who needs a dog? :lol:) and what a beast it was, not only was he a big, almost black fox but his muscle mass was huge, even when we cut his head off the muscles around his neck were reminiscent of Mike Tyson! This fella must have been the top dog in the area. When Ryan came back with it he told me that he had a Chicken in his mouth when he got to it, but the bird was already dead. :-|

Photo102-1.jpg

So all in all a cracking night, the Mouse killed 3 foxes and we have a very happy farmer and a delighted son, safer Chickens and some great memories of a freezing cold February night.

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00080.jpg

All in a very productive night, just wondered, do you own Bino's, using them would have shown up something like a chicken or pheasant being carried, at least out to 200.;)

I was just resting the rifle on the sticks and still with the NV attached, I had a quick look around and about 65 yards away was another fox! I just said to Ryan, "another fox there" placed my crosshairs
, It should not be suggested that you were "Glassing" with your rifle, people new to shooting may get the wrong idea.

Your dead right finnbear, it's not good practice at all, infact this is why I got rid of the dedicated NV scope and got an add on. I was of course really just checking the focus! :doh:

Back