Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester ammo r/f

Winchester ammo r/f

I have a love hate relationship with rimmy's , but at the moment due to comp use im ok. on the feild in resiticted zones i use winny subs, with sucess. Im pondering with some wild cat & Xpert ammo from winchester. Has anyone any feedback on the Wild cat & xpert winny r/f ammo please.

Part of my life is spent testing rimfire ammunition. I tested "X-Pert" about 7 years ago. The bullet was a graphite-coated job that leaded my test weapons to the point where I needed to take a brush to them. It was terrible then but have no reference now. Wildcat was always their bottom rung, last-acceptable-batch-before-they-changed-to-new-dies ammo but shot remarkably well from many rifles. If you can get some in small quantities to test it would be best. If I was flipping a coin, I'd go with the Wildcat.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Part of my life is spent testing rimfire ammunition. I tested "X-Pert" about 7 years ago. The bullet was a graphite-coated job that leaded my test weapons to the point where I needed to take a brush to them. It was terrible then but have no reference now. Wildcat was always their bottom rung, last-acceptable-batch-before-they-changed-to-new-dies ammo but shot remarkably well from many rifles. If you can get some in small quantities to test it would be best. If I was flipping a coin, I'd go with the Wildcat.~Muir
    wel thats a bit of an insight to the stuff , cheers bud.

Off topic slightly but I have been going down a similar route looking for some alternatives to Winchester subs.
    I tried RWS ( I read they were quieter) and Eley (because everyone stocks them!)

I actually found them both to be louder than the Winchester Subs with the Eley being the noisier of the two.
    Muir, have you tested different subsonic makes side by side?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Off topic slightly but I have been going down a similar route looking for some alternatives to Winchester subs.
    I tried RWS ( I read they were quieter) and Eley (because everyone stocks them!)

I actually found them both to be louder than the Winchester Subs with the Eley being the noisier of the two.
    There's a lot of good info in this review.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/amm...on_review.html

With regards to Subsonics in the USA - sound moderators are hard to come by. I know I wouldn't bother with subs if it weren't for the moderator on the rifle.

been doing a bit o lamping the last 12 months when bloody rain lets up and ground isnt saturated!!!!!!!!!!

its all been winchester subs with my cz452 and ive found them to be the best option...very quiet, with parker hale mod on the loudest noise is the thump of the strike on the rabbit!!

occasionally the rifle starts missing the case when i open the bolt ....i think its wax build up i brush the chamber lightly and away it works fine again...although i dont find the bullets particularly waxy to the touch.....eleys i found were.

1600 rabbits ..and yeah folk shoot more but i thought that was a good enough test...i like em ....

sauer / paul

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post

I have, actually, but just the more common domestic brands... of which Winchester was absent. I couldn't get any at the time. I ran Eley, CCI, Remington, Aguila, and PMC. PMC was produced by Aguila ("Moderator") but Aguila's own label subs were tested along including their 60 grain Sub Sonic Sniper.

While we don't generally have moderators, we do value sub-sonics for their ballistic qualities. I know that American's are considered a noisy lot, but some of us appreciate a round that is quiet and delivers all it's energy to the target.

This is a clay block hit with a PMC "Moderator" 38 grain HP, which I found identical to Eley Subs, at 25M.

This is a collection of 10 shot groups shot at 50M with my custom Ruger 10/22 test mule.

Remington was not included as it was woefully inaccurate!

Eley and Aguila @ 25M

~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 23-02-2011 at 05:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I know that American's are considered a noisy lot, but some of us appreciate a round that is quiet and delivers all it's energy to the target.
    When you say that, it made me think of guys in the US shooting Super Max, Velocitors, Stingers and Yellow Jackets with Volquartsen muzzle brakes fitted!

Maybe I'm unfair in my prejudice!

Anybody who puts a muzzle brake in a .22 is obviously or the peasant class of shooter. Those guys definitely have a taste for noisy and wild!

I must admit though, I just got done testing a new 40 grn HP bullet that clocks 1520 fps with 200+ ft/pounds ME (but does it with sub MOA accuracy)so I guess I'm in that class, too!~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by DL View Post
    There's a lot of good info in this review.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/amm...on_review.html.

couldnt get it to open