Thread: Ring tension when mounting a scope

Ring tension when mounting a scope

I have n't mounted a scope for a while. Should the scope just drop into the bases, or should it be a really snug fit where the rings are sprung apart as you screw down the tops? Am mounting a scope and can't help feeling that my rings whilst nominally 1" are a bit on the tight side. A bit of lapping may be needed. Advice please.

SD Regular
    If Leupold they should allow the 'scope to drop in! Are you sure your 'scope isn't 26.5mm continental size?

Have now got out the calipres - the scope tube is 1.036 in diameter, (or 26.04mm) whereas the rings are 0.9955 of an inch - thus a scope that is slightly over 1" going into rings slightly less than 1". I will try giving them a wee bit of lapping to a) ensure they are aligned and b) so they are not quite so tight on the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Have now got out the calipres - the scope tube is 1.036 in diameter, (or 26.04mm) whereas the rings are 0.9955 of an inch - thus a scope that is slightly over 1" going into rings slightly less than 1". I will try giving them a wee bit of lapping to a) ensure they are aligned and b) so they are not quite so tight on the scope.
    That's a lot of work and trouble to go to to make a scope fit the wrong size rings. If it is a 26mm scope buy 26mm rings.

Spent a happy hour this morning with a lapping bar and some some slurry off an oil stone. Lapped the rings so still firm but not overly tight, but good contact all round. By applying a bit of pressure to one side was able to lap the ring so that the scope was perfectly centered with the bore. So my old Brno Mod 2 is now mounted with a nickel marburg 1-4 x 20 scope rather than the cheap Chinese rubbish I put onten years ago. Should be great for rabbits. Now all I need is to get a pair of blank rings from reknagel and cut some claw mounts so when I gowild boar hinting I can fit it on 7x65r in place of the current zeiss 6x42. That will be a bigger job though.

Quote Originally Posted by Heym SR20 View Post
    Spent a happy hour this morning with a lapping bar and some some slurry off an oil stone. Lapped the rings so still firm but not overly tight, but good contact all round. By applying a bit of pressure to one side was able to lap the ring so that the scope was perfectly centered with the bore. So my old Brno Mod 2 is now mounted with a nickel marburg 1-4 x 20 scope rather than the cheap Chinese rubbish I put onten years ago. Should be great for rabbits. Now all I need is to get a pair of blank rings from reknagel and cut some claw mounts so when I gowild boar hinting I can fit it on 7x65r in place of the current zeiss 6x42. That will be a bigger job though.
    I'm considering this now. What's a lapping bar? I have a 25mm ground steel bar, will that do?
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling