Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast bullet success!

Cast bullet success!

Well I finally made it out to try some groups with my first ever cast bullets. After honing the Lee bullet sizing die out to size them .244 I loaded them on top of Trail Boss. I seated them to the same depth as my jacket bullets - 10 thou off the lands. I gave the bore a real good cleaning with wipeout - no copper left in it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000834.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	5055

To my suprise and satisfaction the first group of 10gr was 0.6" at 50 yards! The next couple weren't so good but the last, at 12gr gave 1.5" at 100 yards (not shown). I still need to fine tune the loads figure out how to fit the best zero in with my jacket loads but I'm very very pleased with the results.

Name:	P1000837.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	5056

This load will be for hunting small game to eat, and also to fill the gap of where my 22wmr was. Initial signs exceed expectations. Velocity was I think around 1200 fps. I was hoping for a subsonic load and am thinking I might try less than the first. But even at 1200, with an 87gr bullet it should be pushing out at least 22 magnum energy. And at 14p per round, it's cheaper too.

I through a bolt in my wood lathe and hit it with a grinder, then sanded it to make a tapered rod for bell-mouthing the top of the neck very slightly. The gas check now sits about halfway down when rested there. Seating the bullets has slightly less resistance than the jacketed bullets but feels even for all cartridges.

Name:	P1000838.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	5057
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

I love it when a plan comes together. I've never cast for HV ammo so gas checks are un-mapperd teritory for me. I still do it for my 32-20 rook rifle and 577-450 Martini Henry. I used to cast a lot for my 9mm and 357 Mag handguns.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

sounds good mate, some people would be happy with 1.5inches at 100m with shop baught heads.

Dave

Harry,
    What lube were you using?? I noticed the lube grooves in your pic were dry.~Muir

LLA for the moment until I get some dies for my RCBS lubesizer. I've got RCBS lube waiting too. I thought LLA was only meant to be a thin coating all over? Also I couldn't see any leading after those 12 shots...
    "A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition." -- Rudyard Kipling

That's OK. Next time try seating the bullets to nudge into the rifling lands... you'll have better accuracy! ~Muir

ADDENDUM: If you have a stick of the RCBS lube you can simply cut a disk of lube off of the end and hand lube your bullets (rub the bullets across the lube) before sizing. MEssy but effective!
    Last edited by Muir; 20-02-2011 at 16:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    That's OK. Next time try seating the bullets to nudge into the rifling lands... you'll have better accuracy! ~Muir
    Ah, I didn't quite get it when you said this before. I thought you were saying I could seat them way out in a fired, unsized case so that the lands seat it. But you also mean I could seat them like this in a FL sized case? Should I seat them so they just touch the lands, or way out so the lands actually push the bullet back into the case a bit? Would there not be a danger of the bullet jamming in so if you exract it the bullet stays put and you empty the case all over the action?

Also, can you do this with higher pressure loads - like a 4198 load pushing it as fast as it'll go without leading?

I use my heat treated bullets at 42K with the nose just touching the lands. I shot target loads with the bullets a light compression into the lands. I don't know how much pressure you're planning to load to, so I don't know what your results will be, but seating the bullet to the lands...even contacting the lands... is preferable to having it backed off. Yes. If carried to an extreme you could de-bullet a case. Only experimentation will tell you the tale. I would continue with the Trail Boss until you exhaust the accuracy from that bullet and powder, then move on to higher pressure loads. I was glad to see you didn't say "higher velocity"! Truly, velocity carries no weight when compared to pressure as it applies to cast bullet shooting. Minding pressures is the key.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I use my heat treated bullets at 42K with the nose just touching the lands. I shot target loads with the bullets a light compression into the lands. I don't know how much pressure you're planning to load to, so I don't know what your results will be, but seating the bullet to the lands...even contacting the lands... is preferable to having it backed off. Yes. If carried to an extreme you could de-bullet a case. Only experimentation will tell you the tale. I would continue with the Trail Boss until you exhaust the accuracy from that bullet and powder, then move on to higher pressure loads. I was glad to see you didn't say "higher velocity"! Truly, velocity carries no weight when compared to pressure as it applies to cast bullet shooting. Minding pressures is the key.~Muir
    wow, 42K. Sometime in the not too distant future I must have a think about heat treating. But for the moment I'm happy to walk before I can run. I'll certainly be seating them out to comfortably touch the lands then.

RE: 42K...Yeah. Have some fun before the serious work begins! When you're ready to try it I'll walk you through the process. As I have mentioned, I have killed deer with these bullets in 3o, 303, and 8mm calibers. My current favorite, the Husqvarna 648 8x57, is a sweet shooter with cast" 206 grains at 2350 fps. ~Muir