Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leave the bucks for now??

Leave the bucks for now??

Am i right in this way of thinking? I`ve not got a mass of acres to shoot on and with the two bucks on monday, i think it`s a good time to not shoot any for a while. October 31 is a long way off and my thinking is to leave the bucks to their shagging for now, i can always bag a few later on.
    This would still allow me to practise calling them (which i`ve never done before) I can still learn without having the rifle in my hands.
    What are your opions please.
    basil.

Hi basil

i'm no expert but from what i have heard from very experianced deer stalkers is that the Does will call more bucks into their teritory. It makes sense to me.

i must admit in the past i have had the same feelings towards the bucks where i shoot.

However i have also heard that shooting the main Alpha Dog buck is also a bad thing because there is a possibility for the Does to all get upset and possibly move to another area.

2 conflicting ideas from different people but i am always learning myself and will probably stand corrected after some more ppl post.

hi basil
    this next 4weeks approx should be the best time to get to grips with any of those old and difficult bucks you may or may not of seen that probaly may fit into a cull plan that you are thinking about setting up
    this time of year they only hav one thing on their mind
    and if you were to leave some of these old or lesser quality bucks on the ground then your breeding plan for better quality beasts will be delayed a year or so
    my advice is to keep stalking and shooting any old and going back bucks aswell as yearlings and bucks upto 4 points unless they look a lot better than the ones you culled in your article
    as the bucks are coming in for the females and after the rut most of them will leave any way ,you won't hav many more bucks to stalk after than you had before the rut
    so to stop stalking now only means you miss out on one of the most exciting parts of stalking there is
    i would not recommend using a roe call untill bucks are in the swing a bit more and only use it occassionaly ,only if you are intending to shoot the buck you hav called because you won't get a second chance at a later date if you use it just to practise with and roe soon get to learn to ignore or run from the call if over used
    roe does are also promiscous ( spelling ) so they often mate with several bucks anyway to greaten thier chances of successfull breeding , so if you do shoot the dominant buck she may well move of to find another buck to mate with , but will soon be back often with a buck following
    this is what i hav found with the roe on my ground
    hope this helps
    stone

Thanks stone, a very usefull reply.
    basil.

I seem to recall that in Southern Sweden the Buck season started on AUGUST 12th.
    This ensured that the best and heaviest bucks sorted out the Does.
    Here many fine beasts are shot before they have had a chance to sow their superior seed.
    Generally the Roe there are vastly superior to ours so mother nature knows best.

HWH.

I have to agree with stone here. keep shooting your bucks because the territorial does on your ground will go off and fetch another buck from eleswhere while ever you keep shooting them. Not only that, after the rut the bucks lay up and seem to disappear for quite a while so you might as well may hay while the sun shines

Good luck basil

wadas

Davie
    I is important to me to leave the best bucks and if he is holding a territory over a couple of does i leave him be but will still go out shooting and any i find that will challenge him or just piss him off will be removed .Their should be plenty to shoot but if you value your stock and know what a good animal is i would leave him be.
    The type of ground you have and your plan for the future is important as i know some people will shoot everything on site and i have had ground like this Scotishwoodland and FC Ground. But i must admit there was not much chance of quality deer on that ground.
    There are very good ways to improve your stock and holding capacity and still shoot plenty of deer just ask what do you want from the ground.

6.5x55
    why do you remove any buck that presents a challenge
    as that buck may not win that paticular one but could win a challenge over an older or less suitable buck in the next territory, which could be better off out of the gene pool, so increasing chances of better quality genes passed on through out the area
    things are not as clear as what you seem to make it
    perhaps a little more detail on your management plan is needed here

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933
    I seem to recall that in Southern Sweden the Buck season started on AUGUST 12th.
    This ensured that the best and heaviest bucks sorted out the Does.
    Here many fine beasts are shot before they have had a chance to sow their superior seed.
    Generally the Roe there are vastly superior to ours so mother nature knows best.

HWH.
    stagg
    i hav been thinking about this all evening , and there seems a lot of credibility in what you are saying,
    is it more to do with the sweedish goverment own the all the hunting rights so a sweedish hunter has to pass a lot more compentcy tests before he or she is allowed to hunt, so that way they have a better management plan already in place
    than what is happening in this country
    as over here the local land owner can get a rifle for crop protection and shoot on site with out any proper training and we hav a lot more amatuer deer stalkers (myself included) who are involed more in controll than trophys, so thier management plan would be different, to say, an outfitter who wants more trophys as they pay the biggest part of the bill
    but a very good point raised , never realy looked at it this way,
    thanks stagg puts a new prospective into veiw

Davie
    Stone i have been on my ground watching the deer and paying particular attention to actions of the larger bucks well before buck season in April.
    I have shot most of my cull plan and have a couple more i would like to take for my own pleasures before i finish my season at the end of the rut.
    Now i have got my eyes on a few real nice beasts that IMO should be the lads that cover the does they are prime specimens and have been holding there own territories with out fuss.
    Now if i shoot them and wait for the doe to bring in a new buck and continue to do this i would be defeating the object of deer management and would just be shooting sorry wadashot your theory while correct dose not hold any water when trying to improve the deer on the ground.That type of deerstalking/shooting i would think better to suited to the brown its down brigade eg forestry groups and there stalkers.
    I could go on about the lesser bucks coming over the boundaries and braking the harmony and a chance that the big lads might well evict them but pay the price of a mortal wounding.
    Or that while the big lads are chasing and fighting each other a scabby yearling gets his end away and the gene pool is then lessened. While i do wounder what is happening over the boundaries i have no way of effecting my cull plan there so i stick to my own ground and the quality it has.
    Luckily roe deer are territorial and will stay put as long as they have the three main ingredients.

There is alot more to my cull plan but its nice to keep things simple and alot on here dont want to manage deer at all its about the stalking for them or the venison so why waist space.