is it ilegal to sell a rifle thats not proof stamped?

conibear

i have a new rem 700 which i brought over with me from canada
and i would like to sell it here ,but i understand there might be a problem as its not been proofed here in the uk.
is it ilegal to sell without the proof stamp ?

thanks dan

Yes. You can't sell a rifle out of proof. If it's a case of give it away or pay to have it proofed what would you chose?

From the Birmingham proof house's website

The Proof Acts lay down that no small arm may be sold, exchanged or exported, exposed or kept for sale or exchange or pawned unless and until it has been fully proved and duly marked.

i have a new rem 700 which i brought over with me from canada
and i would like to sell it here ,but i understand there might be a problem as its not been proofed here in the uk.
is it ilegal to sell without the proof stamp ?

thanks dan

Under the Gun Barrel Proof Act (amended 1978), proof is required for all guns sold in the United Kingdom, and for guns that have undergone structural modifications to their barrels – for example by re-sleeving worn shotgun barrels or adapting a rifle barrel to accept a sound moderator or muzzle attachment. Imported guns also need to be proofed, although that can be done at the proof house in the country of origin, provided it meets the standards laid down by the Commission Internationale Permanente pour l’Epreuve des Armes à Feu Portatives (CIP). At the London Proof House, proof is carried out in three steps:

Unless you've had the gun re-barreled here it really should have had a proof mark before it could have been imported. Similarly, you really need it proved and bearing proof marks before you can export it. Though, I've no idea, whatsoever, if anyone would actually pick up on this, if you were taking it to Canada say. I suspect they might not. Of all the things I've had checked on my rifles, no-one has ever actually checked them for proof.

Are you absolutely certain there are no proof marks, of any sort, on your rifle?

ps. My rifles actually are in current proof.

Last edited:
Back