Thread: .243 load query

.243 load query

Having been very happy with sierra 80g sp boat-tailed heads in my .243 loaded with 38.5 grains of H380 I have unfortunatly run out of the heads and the nearest I managed to pick up was sierra 85g spitzers.
    I cannot find any load data for the 85g heads with H380 and dont want to go out and drop extra cash on more powder.
    I have found the load data for 80g and 90g using H380 have a starting load of the same but it offers nothing on 85g spitzers, only data for 85g Barnes x heads which the starting load is 40 grains against 38 grains on both 80g and 90g heads.
    My head tells me to start with the same weight as 80/90g but I am just caustious that because no data is available there is a reason why.
    Experts advise please.

Cockerdog

If it shows a STARTING load for the 90gr bullet this should be suitable for the 85gr also.
    Generally a lighter bullet at a given powder charge generates LESS breech pressure.
    Remember you are using `starting` loads and not some hotshots brew.

HWH.

cockerdog i was looking into reloading myself,its a mine field,you need to know the twist of your barrel.mines a sako,looking for tips on reloading too.the sako website gives you some loading charts mate

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    If it shows a STARTING load for the 90gr bullet this should be suitable for the 85gr also.
    Generally a lighter bullet at a given powder charge generates LESS breech pressure.
    Remember you are using `starting` loads and not some hotshots brew.

HWH.
    As Stagg has said the general rule is that if you can't find a load for your bullet weight/ powder combination then use the data for the next heavier bullet weight. If you've got the Lee loading manual it does explain this rule in a bit more detail. Also try reloadersnest.com Thousands of loads on there and you will find the right combination listed.

ATB

Ade

Cockerdog, forgot to mention that I use the same load for 87gr V-max and 90gr sierra sp's in my 243, but you won't find my load listed as I ran it through the sierra infinity balistics program, where you have to input bullet make, weight, make of case, primer, powder, rifle, barrel length, twist rate. The computer does all the pressure calculations and gives you a load. I use Varget for my vermin loads and the hottest I could find listed was 36gr but infinity calculated 39.5gr. Now been using this load for 5 years and it decimates foxy

Ade

I've used 40grns of H380 to push a Hornady 87grn bullet for years and found it works in any of the .243's I've had over the years.

hi h380 up to 43 grains will give you 3134 fps and 56308psi second edition richard lee

on my sierra infinity it says 85g spitzers with h380

36.7 as start load and go's to 38.2

You can get the Sierra loading data PDF page below, and make your own mind up.

Their loads are very much on the mild side.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&sou...eAphU9IOkrddpw