Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: finding size of screw cut.....

finding size of screw cut.....

I know to some of you this may sound silly but i bought a second hand rifle which was already screw cut and had mod with it. But i want to change the mod but do not know the size i need. what is the best way to find out what thread i have.

You need a thread gauge...you can find them at Axminster Tools and all good retailers!

Take it to your local Gun Dealer, he will keep you right.

Rgds, Buck.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

As above, ask a friendly RFD

lol my local RFD would p*ss himself if I asked him what thread my rifle was. RFD's don't always have knowledge, e.g ask a mercedes sales man how to change an air filter and he won't have a clue!

Get yourself to a rifle "smith" not that there are many in the uk. Where in the highlands are you? I know a very good chap in cumbria.

Some, but not all mods have the thread size engraved / stamped on the body or rear of the can.

If its a Reflex (BR Toute) there is a code, which a phone call to Jackson Rifles will resolve.

If you home load and have access to a dial caliper (thats zero'd)

Measure the thread outside diameter and post here.

Should get you in ball park, unless your thread is a variant of UNF (UNEF)

Quote Originally Posted by scotch_egg View Post
    lol my local RFD would p*ss himself if I asked him what thread my rifle was. RFD's don't always have knowledge, e.g ask a mercedes sales man how to change an air filter and he won't have a clue!

Get yourself to a rifle "smith" not that there are many in the uk. Where in the highlands are you? I know a very good chap in cumbria.
    Your local Rfd must be in the wrong Business then, our local is on the ball, as was his father before him

Most car salesmen only know how to DRINK their profits, it's the bosses who coin it in.

Maybe your guy should take up Mechanics, he'd know how to change that air filter then

Kind Rgds. Buck.

PS. +1 Redmist. (Peter) JACKSON RIFLES
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

If you can get yourself into an engineers merchants, you can purchase (cheap enough) a set of pitch gauges, this will give you the exact id of what you have thread wise, (teeth per inch/ mm, also the pitch)
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

measure it, go to the neares metric size and the nearest imperial size then very gently offer them up and see what fits; under no cicumstances force it!

Dave

Thread Size

I have thread gauges and a mic If your near me.iv24