Triggers 700

bongo

UPDATE Triggers 700

hi anyone got an opinion about a Timney trigger against a standard fit to a remmy 700 . as in are they much better thanks gerry

Last edited:
The Timney is adjustable for weight of pull, backlash and overtravel the Remington?

Timney also have an excellent reputation which is more than can be said for the Remington trigger.

I have never swopped one but it cannot be that hard to do. I do use the Timney type and are familar with them though. Did the new trigger not come with intructions?

I use jewell but did not fit them myself. All I can say is, if you do not fit them yourself ensure that you cycle unloaded rounds prior to use.

A friend lightened his Tikka trigger and had some slam fire's that shat us up some what!!!!!!!

The Timney will improve the feel of the standard trigger, as will a Rifle Basix, Shilen, Kelby or Jewel unit.

Fitting is a five minute task, for the careful DIYer.

Follow instructions, do not ajust too light.......

I have had, and still do, many Remingtons over the years and managed to tune the original triggers with good success Except one !!
I bought a chrome plated, complete with safety,Timney trigger, adjusted at the factory to 1.5lb, to fit to the awkward rifle that I could not get below 2.5lb, then along came a mate who was quite happy with 2.5lb so I sold it to him.
As it was a .308 and I had just bought another 30-06 I did not see any point in getting another .308 so if anybody wants a brand new Timney trigger set at 1.5lb which only has had the blister pack opened to read the fitting instructions then it's yours for £85, a considerable saving on what I paid for it.

I have and have had Jewell, Timney and Rifle Basix. For long range paper punching, Arnold Jewell cannot be beaten; but when there's a big old stag in the crosshairs, I'm damned if I can tell the difference (or feel the recoil, for that matter). A well set up Remmy trigger is a joy to use.

UPDATE ,,,,ok latest , the trigger ive got is the new x but with the 3 adj screws not just 1 via the trigger , so with safety on you can remove the bolt unlike i believe the old remmy trigger , ive also got it set to a nice crisp 11/2lb , so do i still change ? concidering the saety catch and removeing bolt ??? does the new one not lock the trigger as opposed the bolt ?/

Last edited:
I have had, and still do, many Remingtons over the years and managed to tune the original triggers with good success Except one !!
I bought a chrome plated, complete with safety,Timney trigger, adjusted at the factory to 1.5lb, to fit to the awkward rifle that I could not get below 2.5lb, then along came a mate who was quite happy with 2.5lb so I sold it to him.
As it was a .308 and I had just bought another 30-06 I did not see any point in getting another .308 so if anybody wants a brand new Timney trigger set at 1.5lb which only has had the blister pack opened to read the fitting instructions then it's yours for £85, a considerable saving on what I paid for it.

hi is it the new type , ie safety ??

If you know what you are doing you can adjust the standard triger to a reasonable standard. the timney is dead easy to fit and is better than a well adjusted standard triger. Some timneys are better than others in my experiance regards crispness. You wont regret it though.

Dave

The one I have is new, bought from the factory last November. It has three screws, as have every Remmy trigger unit I have ever seen. I have never heard of 'new type' or 'old type' the one I have is the nickel plated model #512 complete trigger unit with safety.
Probably more details would be available on the Timney web site.

I dont think there is an old or new type but you do get them with or without safety. If it comes without the safety you just take the safety off of the standard trigger and fit it to the timney.

Dave

i believe the new blocks the trigger and the old blocks the sear according for one brownells if you search 700 triggers , the new X-trig has a triangle plate on the safety side the old style does not nor does my timney , hence why im hesitant to swap

I have just looked at the Timney web site and, yes, the one I have blocks the trigger as opposd to the previous models that blocked the sear.
Incidentally I see the price in USA is 139.95 dollars plus postage.
The Sportsman has the standard blue steel model for £102.95 plus postage but the choice of pull weights are limited and they do not list my nickel plated one.

Last edited:
pm sent ref trigger £

Last edited:
Ive just had a play again a nice crisp 2lb bumped and hard bolt push all ok , its a new X-type trigger not bad at all now adjusted .

Back