Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really annoyed

Really annoyed

Last summer when if was off work when the wife was ill we spent quite a bit of time walking. We walked on the moors Behind my house which is Broomhead moor, one of the best grouse moors in the country.

I had had the feeling for a while that there were deer knocking about that area so we went in search of them. Eventually we found them, a pair of Stags which were both in velvet at the time and were in fantastic condition. They had come over from Derwent valley. At least once a week, maybe twice we would go and watch them and never failed, i even managed to stalk into them and get some great photos.
    On one occasion we were on a track onto the moor after watching them when this land rover came up to us and asked if we didn`t mind not bringing the dog onto that particular bit of moor as it was open access. Ok i said as i understood from the grouse and other ground nesting birds point of view, although the dog was always on the lead.

While chatting to what now became evident as the landowner i asked if there were any keepering jobs available and spoke about what i had done. I did mention that my real passion was deer and that i helped manage deer on ground around the country and did also mention that i had seen the 2 stags down in the valley to which he rolled his eyes as if to say oh dear, he knows about them. I told him that i had no intention of blabbing it about locally so it was safe with me, afterall they were the only deer that i knew about officially living in my area and why would i want any local poachers to go taking them, plus i was really happy that hopefully their numbers could get up over the next few years.

We made our way after chatting and i did make mention to the wife that i wouldn`t be surprised if he now had them shot because their where abouts was now known, especially by a deerstalker.

Well, my fears have become reality as a few months ago i had it on good authority that they had them shot, the reason, Broomhead have never tolerated deer on their ground as they are frightened they could attract the local dog men. Unbelievable, so people that are happy to watch deer, including me, (as it`s not only about shooting them) have to suffer because dog men MIGHT go poaching them.
    At the time i told Broomhead that i wouldn`t mention it to a sole and my word was my bond and i didn`t until now. Broomhead estate you should be ashamed.

I don`t know if anyone else has had anything similar happen, suffice to say it made me livid.

wadas
    Last edited by wadashot; 21-02-2011 at 08:50.

What a waste of such fine animals!We shoot them but must always respect them!

Those "Dogmen" have a lot to answer for so because of them the Deer were shot??
    Not because some one would of pimped them out to the highest bidder from the UK Stalking
    world?
    Anyway wadaboy i would`nt worry more will replace them i`m almost sure of that

Hardly think two young red staggies would have commanded much of a price trophy wise!

And running dogs usually belonging to the travelling community are not the type of people one wants on any sporting estate, or farmland without the authority to be there.

Its a pity the estate does not implement a more robust security measure to keep undesirables off the ground, and not use the fact that they have two deer on the ground as an excuse to eradicate them for fear of such people causing issues.

These weren`t 2 young staggies Malc, they were both 8 and 10 pointers from what i could tell, bearing in mind they were in velvet. But i don`t think they sold them to clients either, more for the reason i said, dog men.

I`ll put a photo on later after work.

wadas

I do agree with your PoV although on the flip side, whats better, for these animals to be taken humanely or to let them possibly have a horrible end. I do agree that the chances are slim of this and it seems a little heavy handed to have a no deer policy. I use similar tactics on some small bits of land and actually use this argument to get deer stalking, saying that by reducing the deer numbers, you're less likely to get poachers churning up the fields and also the deer i shoot will be shot humanely and the carcasses used opposed to being left in a ditch to die and rot. However i always say that im not there to eradicate the population, just to manage it.

regarding proper security etc, i think due to the way the law doesnt deal with not only poachers but thieves too, from a farmers PoV, prevention is better than cure. If you can make them drive past without even stopping then they wont be snooping round the sheds too.

Where is that moor? Never heard of it?!

Yes, you are right, some landowners do shoot deer to deter dog men, but i have to say in this instance where these reds were is not really very good for dog men to be able to do what they want and then get off the ground quick enough if they are challenged as they would be well into the moor and at the back of the head keepers farm house too, plus i wouldn`t like to think i would have to drag one of those back to the road.

Broomhead estate is to the north of Sheffield, it`s in between Strines moor and langsett moor heading towards woodhead.

wadas

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by wadashot View Post
    Yes, you are right, some landowners do shoot deer to deter dog men, but i have to say in this instance where these reds were is not really very good for dog men to be able to do what they want and then get off the ground quick enough if they are challenged as they would be well into the moor and at the back of the head keepers farm house too, plus i wouldn`t like to think i would have to drag one of those back to the road.

Broomhead estate is to the north of Sheffield, it`s in between Strines moor and langsett moor heading towards woodhead.

wadas

Well if the dog men wasnt aware of the exact location of these deer they certainly are now, maybe with hindsight its better if this post is pulled or at least the exact location.
    Thanks
    Stu

There's deer almost everywhere in the UK now, so a couple of stags on a moor by Sheffield is hardly going to be news to anyone and if wadashot can see them on a casual wander round then I'm sure any local ne'er-do- wells can do just the same. In my experience legally held firearms are the principal tool of the deer poacher - usually either a moderated .22 sometimes with night vision or .22 centrefires held for 'fox control' but mostly used to lamp deer and often in quite large numbers. Longdogs are a minor irritation most places other than the peripheries of large northern cities where they can be a real nuisance.

Which should you worry about more a couple of lads out from Rotheram in an old van with a couple of indifferent longdogs or that part-time keeper from a mile down the road who walks out at night with his nightvision equipped & moderated .22. He'll spend 2-3 hours, several nights a week combing the local estates and shooting everything he can sell that he comes across including rabbits, hares and deer. The game will be stashed close to the road for collection and who will challenge someone like him driving the lanes at night on 'poacher patrol' or worry about a keeper with a boot full of game? I've certainly had far more trouble from poaching keepers and stalkers than most other sections of society and have been out night-watching twice last week trying to help an old friend who keepers an estate down here catch someone we suspect to be coming over the boundary at night with a n/v equipped rifle. The prime-suspect in this case being an old boy who has the stalking on adjoining 30 acre piece of land but who has sold over 120 deer to the dealers over the course of the winter. These types are very, very difficult to catch and the best you can usually achieve is to scare them off or warn them off so they go elswhere.
    Last edited by Nightwalker; 21-02-2011 at 14:07.

it could be more of a case of deer = money in the pocket for the keeper himself

If there are no resident deer on the ground then it is not really that much in his interest to harbour a couple of transients when the alternative is what, a couple of weeks wages from two rifle shots ??

Real shame either way

Time you moved to deer country Wadas, from what I can recall the pennine fringe is seriously bleak