Norfolk gunsmtihs

harrygrey382

I'm wondering peoples opinions on the best gunsmiths in south Norolk? I'm looking for a quote to get a rifle drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Riflecraft aren't answering, but I've heard negative comments about them anyway. Norfolk

Sporting Guns in wymondham have given me a good quote, but is there work good? Can they be trusted not to stuff up a (basically) irreplacable gun? What other good ones are there?

I could try Philip Webster but have also heard of him only being so so even though he's a nice bloke.

I know it’s a bit further away from you, but you could try Trulock and Harris in Framlingham, Suffolk.

Again a little further afield, but only an hour down the A12 - Leech and Sons at Boreham, Chelmsford. A traditional smith man and boy and really knows his trade. Give him a call - 01245 - 465249. A thoroughly amenable chap.

E t R

thanks a lot guys checking them all out.

Anyone any feedback on the gunsmithing at Norfolk Sporting Guns then?

Whatever you do, don't go to Riflecraft. The guy is a liar and a knob.
I speak from first hand experience.
lol yep I've heard things to that affect. Also their prices are over double Norfolk Sporting Guns. I'm going to try Tony Buckland first once I find his number.

Norfolk sporting guns is as good as you will get. Chris is one of the few gunsmiths who can build a rifle or shot gun from scatch. Dont expect it back too quick lots of people use him and that speaks for its self.

Mark

Just a post with slightly different take on Riflecraft, as they are getting a fair slagging off here. I have had 3 rifles from them over the years. All shoot bloody well - 0.3/0.5 MOA. Yes, they can be a lttle "odd" but it takes all sorts. Their work however, in my experience, is first class and usually to the timescales they agree in advance. They are a bit on the pricey side, but the product you get works very well. You read some horror stories about gunsmiths who say they can and then bodge it because the job is beyond their ability. I also have experience of another of the gunshops recommended on this thread and wouldn't let him anywhere near one of my rifles. I'm sure some people have had bad experiences of Riflecraft and I am not saying they are the best in the business as I have not been to many others, but I'm happy. Maybe we just have low expectations in Essex!

Norfolk sporting guns is as good as you will get. Chris is one of the few gunsmiths who can build a rifle or shot gun from scatch. Dont expect it back too quick lots of people use him and that speaks for its self.

Mark
That's what I wanted to hear. Anyone else the same experience?

I'm wondering peoples opinions on the best gunsmiths in south Norolk? I'm looking for a quote to get a rifle drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

Riflecraft aren't answering, but I've heard negative comments about them anyway. Norfolk

Sporting Guns in wymondham have given me a good quote, but is there work good? Can they be trusted not to stuff up a (basically) irreplacable gun? What other good ones are there?

I could try Philip Webster but have also heard of him only being so so even though he's a nice bloke.

If you dont mind me asking (PM me if you wish) what sort of money have you been quoted, as i have a Tikka M658 i would like done.

Phillips work is quite good, a little cheaper than chris as well. Phillip done his training etc with chris. I would trust chris to do it if it was my rifle,

good luck with who ever you decide

Darlows have a good riflesmith. I have a friend who takes his stuff ther and he's always been happy

Also just a thought, i use Philip Webster quite alot, and his work is of a high standard too. He made the most intricately engraved Hammer to match on a very expencive shot gun and i have not seen better work. He is very laid back and has time to talk to you properly. I bought a Tikka and accessories the other day over £1000 and he said pop me a cheque in the post when you get a minute! and off i went. How trusting is that! now thats a guy i will look forward to many years of buisness with. And before you ask i dropped a cheque into him a couple of days later.Lol

Also just a thought, i use Philip Webster quite alot, and his work is of a high standard too. He made the most intricately engraved Hammer to match on a very expencive shot gun and i have not seen better work. He is very laid back and has time to talk to you properly. I bought a Tikka and accessories the other day over £1000 and he said pop me a cheque in the post when you get a minute! and off i went. How trusting is that! now thats a guy i will look forward to many years of buisness with. And before you ask i dropped a cheque into him a couple of days later.Lol

i use philip 99% of the time , the rest of the time i order in from the states !

I can happily recommend Chris at Norfolk Sporting Guns - just in the last few weeks he has screwcut a new rifle and rechoked a shotgun for friends and his work is first class (and I'm the pickiest person in the world when it comes to gunsmithing). I've heard good things about Philip Webster but haven't seen his work. A friend has a Riflecraft rifle which is extremely accurate (too plastic for my taste but it takes all sorts) and they have been extremely kind and hospitable when I have met them.

I can happily recommend Chris at Norfolk Sporting Guns - just in the last few weeks he has screwcut a new rifle and rechoked a shotgun for friends and his work is first class (and I'm the pickiest person in the world when it comes to gunsmithing). I've heard good things about Philip Webster but haven't seen his work. A friend has a Riflecraft rifle which is extremely accurate (too plastic for my taste but it takes all sorts) and they have been extremely kind and hospitable when I have met them.

I'm another one who can recommend Chris at NSG in Wymondham. I recently got my 308 screw-cut by him and ordered a new mod from him at the same time. If I'd listened to my answerphone messages I'd have got the rifle back in 3 days!

I know all 4 norfolk smiths mentioned nd use them all, if you want to see Tony Buckland you will need to make an appointment as he is not open to passing trade, I have had work done by riflecraft, norfolk sporting guns and phillip webster and have never had a problem with any, time or quality, generally for rifle stuf I use rifle craft but only because they ar nearer, for shotgun work I use phillip generally but just for ammo workwear at eye take some beating

mike

Back