fox shooting

Hawkeye

is it legal to shoot foxes with a high powered air riffle :confused:

was thinking about getting one but dont no if it is worth it

personally they deserve a little more respect than shooting with an air rifle. Reading your introduction you shot foxes for a few years with a 222 and 243, i have seen foxes badly injured with both 223 and 6.5 so i would imagine an air rifle used for anything other than shoting them in a trap would be inhumane.

personally they deserve a little more respect than shooting with an air rifle. Reading your introduction you shot foxes for a few years with a 222 and 243, i have seen foxes badly injured with both 223 and 6.5 so i would imagine an air rifle used for anything other than shoting them in a trap would be inhumane.

i couldent argee more i have seen them badly shot as well ,,
but thats down to the man thats pulling the trigger

your correct i was intending to shoot them in a trap ;)

You may has well buy a rimfire 17hmr or 22 ! A decent FAC rifle would cost more than a rimfire anyway, and i believe your FEO would not be pleased with you useing an Air rifle for dispatching Fox ( no matter what the power levels ).

ATB

Steve..........

:idea: I've got a SUPER SOAKER MK 3 you would be better shoot'n it with this as an air rifle mate. :rofl:

Rgds, Buck. ;)

PS. Fine well you know what to shoot it with.

If the air rifle was "on ticket" it would have to read for fox control.
And i cannot see any force in the land putting that in writing, they don't even like .22lr's for this job.
Get your self a .22CF.

You'd be better for with a .410 for that job and with a bit of luck you may be able to pick up a single barrel for £20-30. If youa re trapping in urban settings then think about a moderated .410 instead.

As already said an FAC air rifle would cost a lot more than a HMR a LR or a centre Fire .22 so why would you get one ? No force would issue a ticket for it anyway.

?

As already said an FAC air rifle would cost a lot more than a HMR a LR or a centre Fire .22 so why would you get one ? No force would issue a ticket for it anyway.

i was only asking :confused:

because what is the need for i high powered air rifle barr shooting rabbits

FEO's in Lancashire won't give you anything less than .222 or .204 for fox and rightly so. Yes you can kill them with a .17HMR or .22LR but more often than not you will just end up wounding them. Yes they are vermin but give them some respect. Shoot them once, Shoot them dead!

urban foxes controled with a 22 rimfire 2 dogs 2 vixens last night .
Image0262.jpg

FEO's in Lancashire won't give you anything less than .222 or .204 for fox and rightly so. Yes you can kill them with a .17HMR or .22LR but more often than not you will just end up wounding them. Yes they are vermin but give them some respect. Shoot them once, Shoot them dead!

end up wounding them .then dont attempt it. shot placement close quarters and you shouldnt have a problem

If you read the thread the OP is looking for advice on humane dispatch of fox in a cage,

All those recommending a 222 or .223 for the job please sit down!
CF for close quarters, urban dispatch is a disaster waiting to happen!

Personally I wouldnt want to use a 410 either, could make a hell of a mess of the cage and the spray could warrant a shower curtain.
An FAC air rifle "could" do it with the right pellet and power level but it is so close to the line on "humane" I wouldn't do it or recommend it.

If this is your business i.e. urban fox control then the FLO should have no problem with .22rf for "humane dispatch". only problem I see is the solid lead projectile, but some CB longs as opposed to standard subsonics would be silent and deadly at very close range and not have the power to ricochet.

for the cost and hassle of getting a FAC air rifle for rabbits you could get yourself a .22lr cheaper to buy, feed and maintain, better range, and would do both jobs.

At close range with a very accurately placed shot a FAC rated air rifle will kill a fox but its not to be recommended.

At point blank range ie inches an air rifle running close to the limit will kill a fox with an appropriate brain shot.

There are however much better ways on dispatching a fox.

I do however concur that in an urban enviroment a .22lr is extremly effective in fox control esp downwards head shot out of a window onto a lawn. I have dispatched several off my former back lawn whilst they were eating cat biscuits illuminated by the outside flood light!!

D

i shoot god knows how many a year in urban areas with the 22lr it fits the bill perfect .if i trap i use either the 22lr or a 22 rimmi pistol . before this i was advised by my fao to use a standard 11.5 air rifle at point blank it did do the job .the CB longs i found were crapp and returnd to winni subs .

slight change of topic, I was approached by an anti, last week he was concerned that my air rifle was capable of killing a roe deer at a 100 plus yards:eek:, well it had to be an air rifle hadn't it as all other guns had been banned from public ownership hadn't they, this was not your average Joe public but a wildlife camera man who has filmed several wildlife documentaries
for television.:(

Back