Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you clean your barrel?

How often do you clean your barrel?

Hi Folks,

Just got my first Centre fire Rifle (browning x-bolt in .243) bought a range of barrel cleaning products, rod, brush, Jag and oil etc.

I am hearing conflicting stories about how often the barrel should be cleaned, i know the mod should be removed and cleaned after every use but im hearing from one experienced rifle shot to clean the barrel after each outing and another that he only cleans the inside of the barrel when he thinks there may be a problem and it shouldn't be messed about with to often

Any thoughts and opinions most welcome.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Bmcphers83 View Post
    Hi Folks,

Just got my first Centre fire Rifle (browning x-bolt in .243) bought a range of barrel cleaning products, rod, brush, Jag and oil etc.

I am hearing conflicting stories about how often the barrel should be cleaned, i know the mod should be removed and cleaned after every use but im hearing from one experienced rifle shot to clean the barrel after each outing and another that he only cleans the inside of the barrel when he thinks there may be a problem and it shouldn't be messed about with to often

Any thoughts and opinions most welcome.

Cheers
    Plenty of previous posts on this one,read them then make up your own mind.

I put half a dozen or so patches though the bore if a shot has been taken, followed by a wool mop if the rifle won't be used for a while. Remove the oil with a couple of patches soaked in meths before using again. I give it a thorough clean with Forrest Bore Foam after 50 rounds approx, if I remember.

Is this a brand new rifle (not second-hand)?
    Target shooters, for whom accuracy is absolute, follow a very specific reginme for a new barrel.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

It is a Brand new rifle yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RickoShay View Post
    Is this a brand new rifle (not second-hand)?
    Target shooters, for whom accuracy is absolute, follow a very specific reginme for a new barrel.
    Custom barrels, perhaps, but most factory rifles have had an hourly worker clamp the rifle to a bench and fire three to five rounds of factory ammo through it before roughly swabbing it out with rod and boxing it up for shipment. The "break-in" has been done for you already, and included in the cost of the rifle!~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Custom barrels, perhaps, but most factory rifles have had an hourly worker clamp the rifle to a bench and fire three to five rounds of factory ammo through it before roughly swabbing it out with rod and boxing it up for shipment. The "break-in" has been done for you already, and included in the cost of the rifle!~Muir
    my sentiments exactly !

but i do clean the barrels of my rifles after every batch of 50 of my home loaded rounds !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

I'd recommend cleaning your barrel after every time you have used your rifle. However, once a week would suffice

Pull through with a bore snake every time out, proper clean every 75 or so rounds, or after a wet trip.

Neil.

In summer about every 10 rounds and I dont touch the bore between, always oiled on outside though. in the spring/autumn/winter or in damp/wet then every time it comes out of the cabinate.

A