Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which HMR?

Which HMR?

OK, I feel the need for a new rifle and I fancy a 17, need something to start the kids on.

My gut feeling is to just buy a CZ with a carbine barrel. What other options are out there? I would like to keep this under 500.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

hello brian
    my brother in law got one of these in a thumbhole laminate stock in 17 hmr it is a well balanced and shoots like a dream a very good choice
    colin

Not much choice other than a CZ new at that sort of money......Is it just me or were they about 300 quid the last time I looked?

How about a SH Weihrauch HW60 or annie?

Better triggers than the CZ, if no more accurate.

I want one also, by strange co-incidence....

I have just bought a CZ527 laminate, lovely little rifle. This one has been rebarrelled to 17AH by Callum so way out of budget but the action is lovelly, all my other rifles are full customs and this does compare.

I started my rifle shooting daughter on my 22LR, she then went to my 22.250 and now uses my 6PPC, she outshot me with it recently at 100 yard BR at Bisley !!. 17HMR ammo is relatively costly and the new shooter will be quite happy with a 22LR at least until they have a go with something bigger, you know how addictive that gets !!.

A

A

If it was just for myself, I would probably go for the CZ with the thumbhole and 16" barrel, but that stock seems a bit bulky for the kids.

Quite liked the Weirauch but they are heavy.

I want the 17 over a 22LR as they are much more accurate and flat shooting out to 100 yards and beyond.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Accuracy is where you find it but if you want to go much over 70 yards then 22LR is not the way to go agreed.

A

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    OK, I feel the need for a new rifle and I fancy a 17, need something to start the kids on.

My gut feeling is to just buy a CZ with a carbine barrel. What other options are out there? I would like to keep this under 500.
    i have not long had a CZ .17 HMR 452 16" Thumbhole i was out to-day with my grandson (only a small lad) he shot a Magpie, 3 Rook's and the Rabbit (mxy) i layed out in a grass field all from the window of my truck at 80-120yrds

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerboydy View Post
    i have not long had a CZ .17 HMR 452 16" Thumbhole i was out to-day with my grandson (only a small lad) he shot a Magpie, 3 Rook's and the Rabbit (mxy) i layed out in a grass field all from the window of my truck at 80-120yrds
    Bit of a warning guys - have a look at the legality of young shooters. The estate rifle rule exemption does not apply to those under 17.