Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Neck Shot

Neck Shot

Guys, I'm just an amature stalker and need a bit of advice.

I have been stalking for 6 years. There are only 140 odd deer in the game book, so not a great deal of experience, but I am getting better....slowly.

For my sins I am a bit of a techy. I reload pretty successfully and enjoy playing calibres and trying out new ideas.

Until 3 years ago everything I shot was through the vitals. Since then if it's inside 100 and i'm confident with the rest I shoot neck. Probably 50/50 these days.

I fully understand the dangers of the neck shot but to reduce the carcass damage (because I butcher it all myself for consumption of friends and family and hate the waste) I want to get to the stage where I can take everything in the neck. To shoot consistently in the neck a bit further out I am thinking about a faster flatter very accurate round. I would however need the option of a rib shot if it came to it.

A barrel switch on my 6.5 Lapua to 6mm Lapua enables me to shoot very accutately (I hope for .3 moa like the 6.5) a 70 grain Nosler or Blitzking at 3700 fps. This should give me the tool for the job I want to do.

I know a number of guys in scotland who shoot all their hinds with a 22/250 and 55 grain bullets so I know its not a new concept. They also shoot the same round through the ribs if the neck is not an option, just ensuring they don't hit the shoulder.

A small fast bullet that does not exit and unloads 100% of it's energy in the carcass on the several occasions I have witnessed it has been very effective, although everything you read says you shouldn't do it.

Does anyone have experience of putting a 70 grain 6mm bullet through the ribs? If so what sort of failure rate do you get?

Just trying to do some homework before I make a move.

what is a failure?

22.250 for hinds ????

Quote Originally Posted by NigelM View Post

I have been stalking for 6 years. There are only 140 odd deer in the game book, so not a great deal of experience, but I am getting better....slowly.

For my sins I am a bit of a techy. I reload pretty successfully and enjoy playing calibres and trying out new ideas.

Until 3 years ago everything I shot was through the vitals. Since then if it's inside 100 and i'm confident with the rest I shoot neck. Probably 50/50 these days.

I fully understand the dangers of the neck shot but to reduce the carcass damage (because I butcher it all myself for consumption of friends and family and hate the waste) I want to get to the stage where I can take everything in the neck. To shoot consistently in the neck a bit further out I am thinking about a faster flatter very accurate round. I would however need the option of a rib shot if it came to it.

A barrel switch on my 6.5 Lapua to 6mm Lapua enables me to shoot very accutately (I hope for .3 moa like the 6.5) a 70 grain Nosler or Blitzking at 3700 fps. This should give me the tool for the job I want to do.

I know a number of guys in scotland who shoot all their hinds with a 22/250 and 55 grain bullets so I know its not a new concept. They also shoot the same round through the ribs if the neck is not an option, just ensuring they don't hit the shoulder.

A small fast bullet that does not exit and unloads 100% of it's energy in the carcass on the several occasions I have witnessed it has been very effective, although everything you read says you shouldn't do it.

Does anyone have experience of putting a 70 grain 6mm bullet through the ribs? If so what sort of failure rate do you get?

..... 55 gr bullets on red deer? I thought 100 was the legal limit. Not sure you should be asking people to incriminate themselves?

Account Suspended
    My other half uses 70 grain nosler ballistic tips in his 243 for everything from Red deer to Muntjac he usually head or neck shoots but I more than happy to shoot in the chest if needs be.

To date he has not had any failures but under 150m dont expect to find an exit wound on large deer.

There are several Wildlife Crime Officers now unable to stand up because of the hard-on they have...

Hmmmm small post number, controversial posting seen at lot of this type of thing recently

i look forward to this Thread unfolding, as i would seem you have "A LOT" to learn. As the home work you have allready done dont seem right to me eg Hinds 55 gr .22-250. Just my honest opion Keep to 80trd's an down for neck or if you and your Rifle is so accurate put it in the right place in the rib's unless your into Spar Ribb's job done

My observations:

• As people have said, .22-250 on hinds would be illegal
    • Regarding meat damage, many people say the opposite - slower larger calibres through the chest usually creates little meat waste if the shot is placed accurately with an appropriate bullet and no shoulder involvement
    • As you are butchering them for your own personal consumption who is going to worry about the loss of a couple of ribs versus the loss of some neck meat and why would this alone justify the added risk of going for the neck when you usually wouldn't?

Just my thoughts...

Alex

Gary, in my book a failure is a deer that doesn't go down.

Sorry Jinga, didn't know Big Brother was watching, just testing a theory with a group of people who seem to have a great deal of experience.

Thank you CAM. Real experience.