Thread: Mentoring

Mentoring

Hi i've had my FAC for 12 months only bought a 22lr rimfire for shooting a few rabbits. After 6 months and seeing quite a few foxes about, i asked the farmer if i could get a centrefire and take some foxes, yes he said thats not a problem.

I thought of getting a .223 but after speaking to one of the farm workers who also shoots on there, he said put in for a .243 then you can come out with me and take the odd deer.

I spoke to my FEO about it and he said if this farm worker would write a letter agreeing to be my mentor for a couple of months then he would agree to me having the bigger calibre.
    I got the letter, sent it in with my variation, and then received my ticket back with the .243 added. I went out and bought a rifle 4 months ago and we went out and zeroed it in the following weekend. Two weeks later he took me out for half an hour and i shot a roe deer. However apart from shooting a couple of targets when he bought himself a new scope for his rifle, i just can't get him to go out.

I've now got another 3 farms that have given me permission to take rabbits and fox, but i can only go to these with my rimfire and shoot rabbits as it say on my ticket the .243 can only be fired when acompanied by my mentor, who i can't seem to get to go out with me. I can't get a letter off him as i've not put many shots through the rifle. What can i do? my .243 sits in the gun cabinet week in week out unused.

Have a read of the various threads regarding restrictive mentoring problems in the 'Legal Issues; area of the forum.

Write/email to your FLD asking for the mentoring condition to be lifted because it is causing your problems - you can't proceed unless you have an idea of how they will react to your request.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Get him to write a letter to the constabulary ,stating that he has seen you on a number of occasions and have the skill and ability to carryout the vermin control and deer control in a safe and satisfactory manner by yourself, that his duties on the farm do no allow for him to be there on that basis ,therefore he cannot see why having been in your accompaniment on those occasions, and having seen your skill and knowledge that he is more than satisfied that you can carryout the task in hand by yourself knowing these facts.

I asked him the other day, when could we go out again, and how long did he think it would be before i could have a letter. He said oh you need to get some more shots off first. I said i can't do that if you don't come out with me. Then he said i'm trying to push him to quick. I can't see how going out twice in four months is being pushy. I thought four months would have been long enough had we have gone out regulary. If i was ever in a position to be someones mentor, I would give him all the spare time i had.

Go back to your licensing office and get them to change the mentoring condition from a named person to 'an experienced or competant person' then you can ask any other stalker with an open FC to accompany you and I'm sure there will be enough on here to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    Go back to your licensing office and get them to change the mentoring condition from a named person to 'an experienced or competant person' then you can ask any other stalker with an open FC to accompany you and I'm sure there will be enough on here to help out.
    That might be worth a try thanks. Do you know anyone who has that wrote on their FAC. As mine has the blokes name in full.

I know of one and have heard of two others but not seen theirs written in.