Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scope or eye problem

Scope or eye problem

Hi guys,
    Having a little problem with my scope or my eyes, not sure which one so here goes, when I'm zeroing at 100 yards with my Bushnell 2.5-16X42 6500 scope on 16 magnification the target starts to get blurred and i cannot focus on it any more,
    I need to look away from the scope and focus on something different other than the target then i look back down the scope at the target and the blurriness comes back again after a short time,
    I asked the guy at the local gun shop and he says the magnification is set too high at such a short range for my I to stay focused on the target, is this normal for everybody or is it just my eyes, maybe a trip to the opticians needed,
    If anybody has any ideas or experience about this would be good to hear, thank you in advance for any replies,

Kindest Regards
    Garry

Hi Garry,

I would go and get an eye test, going by what you have posted. I dont need glasses for using a rifle, but as life goes on your eyesight does deteriate without noticing it for a while. Just your arms get longer when you try to read something

Best wishes

Sikamalc
    Last edited by sikamalc; 24-02-2011 at 11:49.

you need to adjust the parallax to the range you shoot at which has the range guide on it. The elites have it on the left knob but depending if your are short or long sighted the adjustment for sharp clear focus will vary compared to the guide markers on it.

Scope is tops...

ps guy at gun shop is a plum. I shoot my elite at 30 mag on targets and it's crystal clear if you adjust the side parallax that is....
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 24-02-2011 at 11:50.

Quote Originally Posted by GarryS View Post
    ... 16 magnification the target starts to get blurred and i cannot focus on it any more......
    Garry. Is this is an issue before you fire any shots? If so, then perhaps an eye test as suggested above. Or does the blurring start after a number of shots? I suspect you are getting a heat haze from your moderator/barrel. I sometimes put a thermal shield on my moderator when testing loads to avoid this issue. Secondly, as above, I shoot some load tests at x30.

Rgds JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Garry. Is this is an issue before you fire any shots? If so, then perhaps an eye test as suggested above. Or does the blurring start after a number of shots? I suspect you are getting a heat haze from your moderator/barrel. I sometimes put a thermal shield on my moderator when testing loads to avoid this issue. Secondly, as above, I shoot some load tests at x30.

Rgds JCS
    The problem starts after numbers of shots, I was thinking maybe it's just my eyes getting tired after focusing for such a long time at the target, but what you're saying about heat from the moderator could be true but never gave it a thought, Cheers for that one, never had to wear glasses before but this year I'm 44 and I need to accept that and go to the opticians!! As for parallax, yes I have tried adjusting many times but as not helped to cure the problem,

Kindest Regards
    Garry

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc View Post
    Hi Garry,

I would go and get an eye test, going by what you have posted. I dont need glasses for using a rifle, but as life goes on your eyesight does deteriate without noticing it for a while. Just your arms get longer when you try to read something

Best wishes

Sikamalc
    Yes i'v noticed my arms are starting to get longer when I'm reading

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post

Rgds JCS

Agreed. This is more to do with heat haze than your eyes....

Don't know how true this is but a mate of mine who used to do a lot of target stuff reckons that you have about 20 seconds from the time your eye hits the scope to squeezing the trigger before your eye starts to tire and the image very slightly blurs. In firing a number of shots I would think that the 20 secs would get slightly less with each shot.

parallax adjustment acts like a pair of glasses, heat haze it has to be.