Thread: Stripping the varnish from a Winchester model 70

Account Suspended

Stripping the varnish from a Winchester model 70

Well i wanted to get the dull american varnish off this new rifle and have some wood to oil.
    the varnish must have criptonite in it as Nitrmores is having a very hard time with it.The area's which has stripped i found some voids in the wood where the factory have filled in and plastered this coating over to cover it up...What a piece,i wish i had left it alone,should have bought another rifle,i will probebly have to buy a new stock for it,every rifle and shotgun i have stripped have come out nice,but this is just a mess...

Oh dear I am sorry to hear this.

May I suggest you apply the nitromors then scrape the stock carefully with a blade or the edge of a wood chisel. I found this to work on the Brno ZKK 601 which had a plastic type finish. It took soem time and effort but it did soften it and I did manage to get it off.

nitromours and stainless steel wool worked for me. Not normal wire woll as it can go rusty and be a pain in the poverbial.

Account Suspended
    all it did was soften it a little,it looks like some hard work ahead,thanks anyway guys

score it a bit with a 3m pad and keep at it, worth it in the end.

I was advised to use the sharp edge on a piece of broken glass to scrape off the varnish. It worked really well & was quite therapeutic! Did the whole stock in about 90 minutes.

Scrape with stanley knife blade

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    I was advised to use the sharp edge on a piece of broken glass to scrape off the varnish. It worked really well & was quite therapeutic! Did the whole stock in about 90 minutes.
    sounds a little Hannibal Lector-ish..

Account Suspended
    well i have tried scraping it with a stnley blade with the paint stripper,not a chance...i have now realised that its not just varnish, its 2 pack resin as it sand off like a fine white chalk powder,which is hard plastic,i will have to find a strong remover for this, all the stripper does is soften it a little,and take a very small amount off every 30 mins or so...no point have wood under this crap,as you cant see any grain,its like looking thought a toilet window at a nice piece of wood!!