Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives. How do we stand.

Knives. How do we stand.

For all my hunting needs i`ve always used a five inch knife. I`m an ex slaughterman so i have a stash of these and they serve my purpose well, but because times are changing will i still get away with carrying it in my car.
    In other words, do i have good reason to carry such a knife??
    basil.

Basil, I believe that if you have a lawful need for the knife then you are permitted to carry it in the car and infact on your person if you are off stalking.

I think you are right about us having a good reason for carrying a knife, but i would still be very wary of taking one into a shop which is attached to your belt. I have done this a few times in Scotland over the years thinking that the Scots have a more relaxed attitude to shooting related issuse as they are used to seeing people dressed up to go shooting. But it only takes an over the top passer by to see a knife slung around your waste and they will be onto the old bill sharpish, it`s just not worth the hassle, just rememeber to take it of your belt before leaving the car.

wadas

I Must admit I've been wondering about the same things as basil.

I had to go up to London on Friday to see some clients working on the Olympic project.
    On the way i had the radio on and the news mentioned what the powers to be wanted to do with kids caught carrying knives after all the stabbings that have happened.

It made me think of all the times i had had a knife as a kid, fishing, shooting , and so on and i was wondering about what would happen if you were caught with them today if you were in your teens

When i remembered my spare Frost clipper knife, sharpening stone, and
    Leatherman were in the glove box .

Now i Know i've got reason to have them when out stalking/ fishing
    but what about keeping my back ups in the car glove box when not out in the field

Any one know the answer ?

Joe

I think alot of the future "offences" will depend on the officer, for instance, if he decides yes, your a hunter and can relate to your needs of the knife, and you`re not openly displaying it to the public, you might be ok.
    On the other hand, if you have an officer who is looking for browny points it could be a different story...........
    basil.

Quote Originally Posted by 300wsm
    I hope all of you are anyway but if you sign yourself up to a Deer road traffic colisions scheme then you would have a reason for carrying a knife
    That really wouldn`t work where i live as there`s no deer

wadas

I hope all of you are anyway but if you sign yourself up to a Deer road traffic colisions scheme then you would have a reason for carrying a knife
    Thanks for the answer, how do we go about signing up?
    basil.

Quote Originally Posted by basil
    Thanks for the answer, how do we go about signing up?
    basil.
    i am all for this idea wsm but like basil says how?
    on approaching west mids police about this they said they use there own poeple to for this, forrest enterprise also told me the same and tonight some one else i spoke told me, that there rangers from the humber to the m25 also deal with there own aswell, so there must be something i am missing here ,which i was going to approach the BDS about next week at the CLA, probaly, you will be the one they direct me too, if you are on the stand on the sunday, if so i shall see you there and we can talk further but for now would not mind a bit more info if you don't mind
    cheers mate

I think you are OK with knives in the car, it's just for carrying one in public you need good reason.

I might be legally allowed to do it, but I doubt I'd walk down a high street with one on my belt, no more than I'd walk down a high street with a gun bag over my shoulder just for the sake of it. I'd just leave it in the car if you were in town.

If I was shooting, and went into town for a paper with my knife on my belt the police could ask why I needed it and I couldn't justify it ! I don't need a knife to buy a paper.

Out of town though you are likely to be able to say you are actively enaged in hunting.