Thread: Best time?

Best time?

Thanks in advance! I am still trying to sort out my upcoming trip. I have decided that I want to take a couple of represintive Roe, not medal, and spend the rest of rhe time hunting/shooting Muntjac does, because they are avaliable and cheap/free. Any other deer will just be a bonus. I've been advised that rut is the best time for Roe, but not good for Muntjac due to cover and trere might be many stalkers in the woods. As long as I will have a decent chance at a couple of Roe, and the chance to shoot something fairly ofton. What month would you recomend?, thanks, cap david.

I wouldn't worry about other hunters in the woods there are no public hunting areas, certainly in England anyway, the cover issue is more of a problem as I have found to my embarrassment (not being able to see several munties until they bounded off tails in the air) I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable bods will be along shortly to advise
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

May is probably your best time, most of the Roe bucks are in hard antler and the cover will not be too high, but it all depends what sort of spring we have.
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY

I would agree end of May or early june seems to diliver the best chances at roe deer for me. They are in there red attire and clean and dark antlers the cover is just low enough to scan and stalk after that it can be very difficult. With regards the rut its a good time to watch Roe Deer but the kill ratio is way down. JMO
    PS STALKERS IN THE WOODS NO CHANCE WERE I SHOOT YOU NEVER SEE A SOLE

Bring your wooly undies Capt David, you're apt to find it a bit cooler over here than Texas
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

I live at the extreme southern tip of Texas, right on the coast. Our typical winter, December-March, weather is highs in the low to mid 70s and lows in the high 50s. The weather has been wperd this year. A couple of weeks ago we had cold and ice with just below freezing for 72hrs. That was the first sub freezing weather in 15-20yrs. And then, just last week, we had two days in the upper 80s. capt david

can't remember what 80 feels like no doubt when I roll up in SATX in August I'll find out
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

These 50's and 70's I guess are in foreignheight?
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks