Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pups first time out stalking

pups first time out stalking

Took pup on his first outing after deer,as he is now 15 months old and has been picking up on my pheasant syndicate since november and done all his basic obedience training,also done some tracking with legs and heads,so it was time for the real thing.
    Set up my rifle on sticks with the dog lying beside me at a bit where i had seen one previously crossing from one wood to another.After about ten minutes the dog sat up and started sniffing the air,i looked through binos but could not see anything,then a couple off minutes later a buck walked out from the trees followed by a doe and to my amazement another buck.All three started to feed about 70 yds from my position with the dog quivering in excitement i watched them a couple more minutes then decided the doe was a shootable beast.I squeezed off a round and heard the 95 grain bt hit its target,waited the customary 10 mins then walked with the dog on the lead to the spot next to a solitary tree,as it was now getting dark i could see no signs of the doe or any signs of a strike.I searched in a radius of about 50yds with the dog pulling in a direction heading into thick cover, when i got to the edge of the wood i could not see due to the thick nature of the trees,so got on my hands and knees and had o look,there i could just about make out the doe's silhouette ,so i slipped him off the lead and let him go the final 20yds.Not having seen a deer before i did not know what to expect but i needn't have worried as he went straight in and grabbed hold of it,great i thought could not have worked out better.She turned out to be quite a big doe weighing in at 45lbs gralloched.
    Last edited by sakoson; 25-02-2011 at 21:10. Reason: add photo

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by sakoson View Post
    Took pup on his first outing after deer,as he is now 15 months old and has been picking up on my pheasant syndicate since november and done all his basic obedience training,also done some tracking with legs and heads,so it was time for the real thing.
    Set up my rifle on sticks with the dog lying beside me at a bit where i had seen one previously crossing from one wood to another.After about ten minutes the dog sat up and started sniffing the air,i looked through binos but could not see anything,then a couple off minutes later a buck walked out from the trees followed by a doe and to my amazement another buck.All three started to feed about 70 yds from my position with the dog quivering in excitement i watched them a couple more minutes then decided the doe was a shootable beast.I squeezed off a round and heard the 95 grain bt hit its target,waited the customary 10 mins then walked with the dog on the lead to the spot next to a solitary tree,as it was now getting dark i could see no signs of the doe or any signs of a strike.I searched in a radius of about 50yds with the dog pulling in a direction heading into thick cover, when i got to the edge of the wood i could not see due to the thick nature of the trees,so got on my hands and knees and had o look,there i could just about make out the doe's silhouette ,so i slipped him off the lead and let him go the final 20yds.Not having seen a deer before i did not know what to expect but i needn't have worried as he went straight in and grabbed hold of it,great i thought could not have worked out better.She turned out to be quite a big doe weighing in at 45lbs gralloched.

Good write up, great result, congratulations.

What sort of dog is he?

What breed of dog do you have mate?
    Last edited by Cadex; 26-02-2011 at 03:00.

He is a lurcher,sire border/beardy collie and dam is a greyhound,blue merle

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    What bread of dog do you have mate?
    A wheat-en Terrier
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

Quote Originally Posted by sakoson View Post
    He is a lurcher,sire border/beardy collie and dam is a greyhound,blue merle
    Hancock?
    "Imagine you're a deer. You're prancing along, you get thirsty, you spot a little brook, you put your little deer lips down to the cool clear water... BAM! A f**kin bullet rips off part of your head! Your brains are laying on the ground in little bloody pieces! Now I ask ya. Would you give a f**k what kind of pants the son of a bitch who shot you was wearing?"

yes bred by david hancock,birmingham

Good deal mate and well done that poachers dog i think you will get some good sport off that ground time to stop looking for new ground and make the best of what you have. PS THAT IS ONE REALLY BIG DOE FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR
    PS did you go to hancocks place for him. All them none workers
    Last edited by 6pointer; 25-02-2011 at 21:25.

I have had 2 dogs from David. 1st was similarly bred to yours. Sire was a dog called Richard Jones. She was pretty hyper, and although I managed to qualify for the NL&RC field trials twice with her (as a young dog) she never reached her potential as a messy divorce resulted in me having to pass her on. Unfortunately she was killed by a train a few years later having developed into a use1ful worker.

I still have the second, a 1/2 cross border collie sired by Rufus. He will be 15 this year and has the best nose Ive ever seen on a lurcher. He marked burrows for ferreting and never was found to false mark or miss an inhabited burrow. Worked heavy cover by locating a rabbit deep in the cover and making false 'attacks' until the rabbit felt pressurised and bolted and he always seemed to have the knack of being exactly at the place the rabbit bolted from. He lamped off the lead as well. Also flew hawks over him. Never a big or particularly fast dog he only ever chased 2 hares and the second he realisd he was beaten he turned and came back, from that day on, unless he took it in its seat or very close it was allowed to escape unharrased.

Good luck with your young dog I'm sure he'll be a cracker

This dog is my 3rd dog from hancock and i also did the field trials, infact my old dog was the original scottish NLRC field trial champion 3 years in a row and uk runner up(thats another story),then at 5 years old i introduced him to deer stalking and as they say was a natural at fallowing up wounded beasts as good as any bloodhound,and was always off the lead.