Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Sling

Rifle Sling

Hi all.

What are the best slings for long walks over ground that you have found out there that do not cut in looked for a new one to-day not much on offer in gun shop!!!

Thanks for all the replys will contact Ash and see what he can make me, Thanks again all for your input.

Chris
    Last edited by quiteman; 26-02-2011 at 14:03.

Chris

Have a look at this link http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ht=cobra+sling

Made by Ash243.
    Great workmanship and very reasonable considering he makes everything to order. He has also made me a sheath for my Swing Blade knife.

You won't go wrong with his products

Jonathon

I have no conection with Ash other than a very satisfied customer

I use niggeloh neoprene and leather and for a longer walk i use Z-Aim harness type.

I use one of these, not cheap but I think it is good value and it works at least as well as any other I've tried.

http://www.westleyrichards.co.uk/Sho...as-Rifle-Sling

To be honest I bought it because I just plain fancied a classic canvas sling on my rifle. When you realise that the rifle is a plastic Blaser in some moderm American cartridge you can see that sling, with all it's European safari tradition, and rifle don't exactly go together. However, everyone who sees the sling takes a fancy to it and asks where they can get one. I'd guess that is more than can be said for the Blaser :-)

I find a plaited leather sling bar far the best for staying put on the shoulder, maybe its the shape of my shoulders but I find slings with solid straps tend to slide off.

This is the first one I found on Google but I think most gunshops would have a similar one,

8 Strand Plaited Deluxe Leather Rifle Sling 1.5 wide

A
    Last edited by Alycidon; 26-02-2011 at 08:10.

No sense in paying 60 at Westley Richards when you can get one for 20 from gunslips.co.uk

Quality Gunslips - GUN RIFLE SLING GRS1

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser66 View Post
    No sense in paying 60 at Westley Richards when you can get one for 20 from gunslips.co.uk

Quality Gunslips - GUN RIFLE SLING GRS1
    Ok so they are both cotton canvase splings with leather attachments and their the similarity ends. one is 1 1/2" wide the WR is 2" wide. The WR has keepers to help keep the lether ends closed the other does not. When the WR is likely to be used on 16lb double rifle costing tens of thousands it's going to be made better than the other one. Or don't you agree?

I have a couple of older cotton canvas web slings which are possible of P-H origin the markigsn for maker are too faint. one of 1 1/2" and one of 2" the Green 2" one came on a P-H sporterised/tagetised P-14 and the ends do slip their brass buttons on occasion so I'll ahve a word with the leather worker at the archery club and see if he can knock up a couple of keepers for it.

Quote Originally Posted by 243varmint View Post
    Chris

Have a look at this link http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...ht=cobra+sling

Made by Ash243.
    Great workmanship and very reasonable considering he makes everything to order. He has also made me a sheath for my Swing Blade knife.

You won't go wrong with his products

Jonathon

I have no conection with Ash other than a very satisfied customer
    Very nice too, but at what price ?

Brit, how are you? Apart from the WR being a half inch wider and has a couple of wee leather sleeves they are fairly identical and do the same job for a rifle. I don't think half inch of canvas and a couple of leather sleeves make up for the 40 difference, do you? And no-one mentioned 16lb rifle weight. I have the gunslips one on my .308 Sako and does a good job and looks the part. I have an identical one bought in the late 80s from Grahams Inverness that has been through all sorts of rough days and hard carries on the hill and been on 4 or 5 previous rifles and still working well on a friend's .275.
    Also Ash243 makes blinding leather slings and is worth a serious look.
    Last edited by Mauser66; 26-02-2011 at 12:47.

Both look like the webbed sling offered by Stalkers uk at 17.95 (made in theUK)