Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning signs?

Warning signs?

I have just nailed down two of the best estates in Central Scotland and they have a dog problem all day long and one local resident lets a terrier out to roam without supervision. The question is should i hang a warning sign on the gates whilst stalking and if so how should i word it?
    Thanks!

If you mean that you are planning on shooting the dog because it is chasing the deer then my understanding is that because the deer are not farm/domestic animals but are wild then you can not shoot them on the basis of protecting livestock. Perhaps I've misunderstood your intentions and the nature of the warning sign.

If you just want to warn people that stalking is in progress then I would say just that on the sign i.e. "Deer management in progress" and no more. I think it is dangerous path to tread to imply that your actions might create danger for someone else and the less you say the less there is to pin on you so I wouldn't add words like "warning" or "danger" to any sign.

I fail to see where i said i would shoot a dog but was only asking if i should hang a sign up?

Red-Dot

If that is you on your profile, I don't think you will have to worry about them coming back on once they met you...

On a serious note, all dogs must be kept under control. If it is out on it's own then the owner is breaking the law. Found the following on another site.

4. Your dog should be under control while off the lead and not be a nuisance to other people, animals (farm and wild) children and dogs (Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005/ Control of Dogs Order 1992/Dangerous Dog Act 1991)

A few years back I managed a small area of woodland that had access granted to the public. I had notices made for every gate (7 in total for 40acres) The notices said that access was temporarily suspended for woodland management. I put these notices in place every time prior to stalking (took nearly as long as the stalk) which was generally before daybreak but I still had people walking their dogs and children who said that they didn't think that the notices applied to them.
    Amusingly, my Firearms Officer suggested that I put the notices in place the evening before I intended to stalk, including the time that I intended to be there. I pointed out the obvious invitation to antis and nutters and he agreed that perhaps it wasn't such a good idea
    Red Dot, put your notices in place but don't assume people will take too much notice and as caorach says don't include any words such as danger or warning!
    Cheers, Pete.

Regular Poster
    You imply you have a dog problem and that erecting notices will help you with the dog problem, The dogs in Scotland can’t read or understand the English written language, so that is useless.
    The "Deer management in progress now" is probably the best route to follow.

ATB Barry

The only option is to tackle the owners as diplomatically as possible which I know can be hard, if you feel that this will be of no use, a polite warning that as part of your duties you will be controling the foxes and will, as is perfectly legal, be carrying out snaring as one of your control methods which will be free running and checked at least 24 hrs might make them think before they let their precious little dog out on it's own!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by barry thom View Post
    You imply you have a dog problem and that erecting notices will help you with the dog problem, The dogs in Scotland can’t read or understand the English written language, so that is useless.
    The "Deer management in progress now" is probably the best route to follow.

ATB Barry
    Dosent that apply to some of their owners as well

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    A few years back I managed a small area of woodland that had access granted to the public. I had notices made for every gate (7 in total for 40acres) The notices said that access was temporarily suspended for woodland management. I put these notices in place every time prior to stalking (took nearly as long as the stalk) which was generally before daybreak but I still had people walking their dogs and children who said that they didn't think that the notices applied to them.
    Amusingly, my Firearms Officer suggested that I put the notices in place the evening before I intended to stalk, including the time that I intended to be there. I pointed out the obvious invitation to antis and nutters and he agreed that perhaps it wasn't such a good idea
    Red Dot, put your notices in place but don't assume people will take too much notice and as caorach says don't include any words such as danger or warning!
    Cheers, Pete.
    There is nothing wrong in using the word WARNING if in context of safety where you are advising them not to do something like climbing a structure in the forest and further state that the owners and tennants will accept no responsibilty in respect to injury should they wish to disregard such a warning, they would then become self responsible for failure not to heed the advice.

Ialso place a warning sign at the entrance gate to a forest indicating that stalking is in progress its up to them should they disregard it, especially in Scotland were the right to roam act gives them right to access, that way you have done all you can in law to put them on notice.
    A red warning flag at all entrances is also another good idea.not mandatory but definitely makes people think twice along with the warning notice should they go further.
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 26-02-2011 at 07:26.

Red Dot, We have had the same problem on our shoot, so we put up signs saying in large bold script,
    "PRIVATE, ACTIVE CONSERVATION AREA". Some small mention of it being an adder sanctuary might help

Simon
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.