Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice

Need some advice

Hello gentlemen. We have had some family changes that I wont go into and it has left my wife and I seriously concidering fostering our niece. We have thought about it a lot but there is a niggle in the back of my mind, something I heard somewhere, that the social services dont allow you to foster if you have firearms in the house. I wonder if any of you have the same situation or first hand knowledge. I may be wrong about this and probably am, but before we approch anyone or go into this in any more depth I would like your views.

Many thanks in advance

Mark

hi,

. i would advise you to contact your Flo or your local social services. That way you have it from the horses mouth and there is no room for misinterpretation and disappointment.

wish you and yours the best through this

Mark,

I can't help you with your question, but I would be mortified if holding a FAC would go against you in a situation such as this! I wish you well and hope things work out.

ATB

Tom

Echo CBS sentiments in wishing you luck.

Regardless of the outcome, the thought of a child being offered a loving home being scuppered because of some misconstrued policy if that is the case, is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    hi,

. i would advise you to contact your Flo or your local social services. That way you have it from the horses mouth and there is no room for misinterpretation and disappointment.

wish you and yours the best through this
    +1 on that !

on sticky and personal situations like this alway head for the feo !

cheers lee

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Quote Originally Posted by bunwell wood shoot View Post
    something I heard somewhere, that the social services dont allow you to foster if you have firearms in the house.
    I don't know either, but the face of it, this sounds to me like it ought to be 'political correctness gone mad' yarn of dubious provenance; but you never know, I suppose, until you ask.

As your firearms ownership is entirely lawful, I'd be tempted just to proceed with the application on the basis that holding firearms on a FAC is lawful and should if anything support a fostering application, as it demonstrates police-checked good standing and responsibility; but if you wanted to avoid last-minute disappointment I guess the people to ask would be the fostering people - I'm not sure what authority the FLD would have to answer this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    - I'm not sure what authority the FLD would have to answer this question.
    probably very little but if you have them on your side from day one then you will never have an issue.
    always keep firearms licensing on your side and give them their place.
    As the Op asked he heard his ownership may cause issues they may offer him advice and possible assistance.

We as FAC holders have been checked out by the highest information holding authority in the land and found to be decent upstanding individuals so you would think that would be an asset, not a hindrance..

The only thing I could find on the internet was a couple of local authority websites saying that foster children should not be involved in shooting activities (including beating) without the written permission of their parents and foster manager. The only other requirements were that you had the appropriate SGC/FAC and the guns were secure. Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Moonraker68; 26-02-2011 at 13:24.

Through drugs misuse children were removed from the home. The grandmother had possession. Perminent rehoming was prohibited and the girls went to live with the other set of grand parents. Reason beggars belief. The grandmother is a life long Christian. Her bookcase was full of Christian books. Social services denied the application on grounds the grandmother was a Christian fanatic, rules are made up to suit the beliefs of the SS.
    jim