Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overall views on newark show

overall views on newark show

Those who attended Newark,was it all that good/bad or ???
    Any bargains to be had or could you have saved the outlay on buying somewhere else.

I was one of those who were going but backed out in the end.

should I have gone or stayed at home did I miss anything

Quote Originally Posted by jonevo View Post
    Those who attended Newark,was it all that good/bad or ???
    Any bargains to be had or could you have saved the outlay on buying somewhere else.

I was one of those who were going but backed out in the end.

should I have gone or stayed at home did I miss anything
    Have to say Joneve, you should have gone. I've just got back and it was well worth it. "Only" 15, which compared to the CLA
    and even Midlands Game fairs is good value. Loads of stands with lots of kit for the users of this site. Had lots of the normal crowd of stall holders there. All the stands were under cover and it was a quick walk in the open from one building to another, so it didnt really matter what the weather was like.

I'm not too sure there were that many bargains, it's hard to know, but it compared well to the other game fairs i've been to and i thought was more relevant to stalking and shooting. I even saw stalls with reloading gear which i havent seen before at fairs, but that might be because i've only just got interested in reloading

Mates and i will definately be going next year, but on the Saturday, as some of the kit had sold out even though we were there first thing - 8.45 - this morn.

RECOMMENDED

Scrun

I enjoyed it, went with to mates, I didn't get very much but they stocked up with primers and 9mm bullet heads, the Vit powder they wanted all sold out yesterday but apparently Wentworth were selling certain primers for 12 cheaper than anywhere else, they got that much stuff between them I had to lend them 100 cos the dealers either couldn't or wouldn't take credit cards, that for me was the only downside, apart from that, I enjoyed it and would go again.

i thought it was ok, i went on the Saturday it was very busy with a few stands selling out of stuff by end of play. I caught up with a few old people i hadn't seen for while and managed to grab some bits i needed, not sure if i got any bargins though. the dog did better out of the show than i did with a visit to muntjac Trading stand, and a new bed. It was interesting having so many custom rifle builders all in one tent and being able to go from one to another and get rough prices on the rifles with simmilar components!!

All of the stands i visited and the ones my friends bought stuff from accepted credit cards, so maybe their was an issue with that on the Sunday.

i would say there was an awful lot of camo walking around at the show, why you need to where camo in a marque in the middle of an airfield is beyond me but their we go each to their own

would i go back................. yes i think so

Just got back it was ok as game fairs go nothing cheap though just same as anywhere else i bought a coat for summer stalking and leggings for pheasant shooting this season i spotted a few old faces there peter carr etc !
    Not to impressed with the large trade stands im looking for a sako 85 finnlight but not one to be seen on the GMK stand , Also wanted some bullet heads primers cases etc but not one reloading stand only the odd stall selling small amounts !!!!

Oh and i know im a Yorkshire lad but 4.50 for one rasher of bacon and a dry stale bun !!!!!

Not sure ill be back !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Just got back it was ok as game fairs go nothing cheap though just same as anywhere else i bought a coat for summer stalking and leggings for pheasant shooting this season i spotted a few old faces there peter carr etc !
    Not to impressed with the large trade stands im looking for a sako 85 finnlight but not one to be seen on the GMK stand , Also wanted some bullet heads primers cases etc but not one reloading stand only the odd stall selling small amounts !!!!

Seems like you missed the correct stands. I went today and missed the clubs full bore comp to meet up with dovebob there. I brought a couple of boxes of 6mm Sierra bullets, one of FMJ's for range use and a box of 85 Grn HPBT's to try, a set of three Lupes/Jewelers eye glasses (2x,5x and 10x mag) and 4lbs of Hodgdons powder. One place I tried for a sausage bap yep the roll was a bit dry but the sausage and chips I had earlier were fine. There are so many food places so browse carefully.

I didn't do the whole show as I was looking for certain things and met a few really nice people and spent a couple of hours so there was not time to see it all. Spotted a few nice rifles like a near new CZ 537 in 270 Win for only 280 and it the stock has nice grain too. Then on Norman Clarks stand he has two newly built Parker-Hale 1100 Lwt rifles in 6mm Remington. One has a 1200P receiver which is engraved on top with a smooth floor plate the other which has a slightly shorter barrel and screw cut has the P-H embossed floor plate priced at just over 600. Norman brought a lot of stock when P-H closed and has been building nice rifles to his standards on them.

visted on saterday and picked a nice 20g fabarm axes un used for 750 a lot less than used one from a side stand next to importers (exdemo) they had half a dozen or more 20g and 12g fabarms less than half price so worth the trip

Quote Originally Posted by 375 mag View Post
    Oh and i know im a Yorkshire lad but 4.50 for one rasher of bacon and a dry stale bun !!!!!

Not sure ill be back !!!!
    Eh 375 mag Take a Buttie next time - you know you're gona get ripped off for food and drink whether it's a Game fair Concert or whatever - you're a captive audience. yes the food was as expensive as elsewhere, but the show was excellent !

Quote Originally Posted by scrun63 View Post
    Eh 375 mag Take a Buttie next time - you know you're gona get ripped off for food and drink whether it's a Game fair Concert or whatever - you're a captive audience. yes the food was as expensive as elsewhere, but the show was excellent !
    Our stall had enough bacon to feed the extra waifs and strays, but they never arrived!!
    IF I do next year - an added hours drive at the least - the 5 hours to get to Newark was bad enough, then call in at the Lovat Society stall.
    Bacon butties may be on offer for a decent contribution in one of the H4H buckets we had