Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gwp lines for working?

Gwp lines for working?

I'm looking for a gwp puppy, mainly for deer and fox work. But as a keeper some bird work too. A few shoot days a little dogging in and the occasional day duck shooting in Norfolk.

My question is which gwp lines are suitable for this work?

Opinions on trudvang, kimmax, bryantscroft please

Dennis Groom on this site still has pups. They are worth a look as I am sure some on here who have picked a pup already will testify to.

I think Thar of the site has a litter at the moment, they are Trudvang/Bryantscroft, probably the best lines in the country.

thanks for the replies, i'll hopefully be speaking to thar today,

I was really looking for comments on what each of the lines are like?

which work what game best etc? are kimmax gwp as biddable that sort of thing.

I can see kimmax win alot of trials but do they do much work?

any info on the different merits of the lines would be much appreciated

Working GWP

I cant recommend the Trudvang kennel enough, i have a young dog from there and his WORKING lines are terrific, have a look at the different websites if they have photos standing showing off the dog , holding its tail and head in a pose in my opinion give it a miss.

gwp lines for working

Quote Originally Posted by wirehair View Post
    I cant recommend the Trudvang kennel enough, i have a young dog from there and his WORKING lines are terrific, have a look at the different websites if they have photos standing showing off the dog , holding its tail and head in a pose in my opinion give it a miss.
    i have seen trudvang dogs work at field trials they are very good ,have you seen the pups in the adds page.
    i have h.w.v so not biased.

Can't comment on kimax as I've not seen them. I do know he imported a couple of dogs from Germany to improve his line but he also shows them as do the Pinkertons (bareve).

My wire is from Bryantscroft and has great drive but at the same
    time is very bidable and wants to please. The sire to my dog is from Trudvang and again Chris has dogs to work not show!

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by wirehair View Post
    I know a few folk with Trudvang dogs, and the Wildman himself, excellent temprament and solid working dogs. (next best to a Weimaraner )

Its an interesting idea Dickyboy and you may be lucky however it won't be easy at all, I have had a go at most things with my GWP she has been foxing since pretty young just following up any that have been hard to find. We've done dogging in this season and she has been in the beating line all year and its been a good year, you will have a few issues you don't get with the more traditional dogs. Pointing is the obvious one they are a little hit and miss with flushing birds and a bit depends how keen to flush the birds are. If they sit tight you end up flushing most yourself, the bonus is they hunt far steadier than a springer for example so in the line mine just stops if you get a flush going, If you get one sitting tight she does wait to be told to flush it. Retrieving with mine is a little hit and miss fine on foxes etc pheasants she will retrieve the odd one but not interested in doing one after the other as it bores her. Deer we're just starting on and looking good so far they are very versatile and cracking characters but you'll find strengths and weaknesses. One things for sure they will outwork any other dog on most shooting fields but easy they aren't

kimmax lines are all german,you wont find better than trudvang or bryanscroft imho.why not get a good looking dog tho,longhaired pointer all the way