Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to expect when stalking

What to expect when stalking

I notice that Capt David has been posting a lot of very reasonable questions with a view to taking a few days stalking while in the UK. There are also lots of questions from people just starting out in stalking which appear not infrequently and I know I benefit from the experience and knowledge of SD members on lots of very basic stuff.

Just like there is a deer ID photo sticky going on elsewhere would there be any merit in a sticky thread aimed at letting the beginner or visitor know what to take and what to expect on their first day stalking?

I'd guess such a thread might also be useful to more experienced members who are taking their first day on the hill for red stags, or their first day in woodland and we have lots of experience on here both from the perspective of the professional stalker and the guest rifle.

Hi,

Fantasic idea Caorach,

if you wish to scribe what you expect to happen on the first day i would love to hear it.
    i would also love to see the deer that you tell it too so that they can conform also.

All i would say to any new stalker is read the books, watch the videos and dvds, then spend the rest of life looking for the deer that does that or follows that rule.

atb in the venture.

frank.

Could we include pictures of the various species rumps as I think thats the only way I'm going to be able to identify them
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Perhaps I wasn't explicit enough for some-

There must be professional stalkers on here who see new clients make the same mistake in terms of what they wear or what they expect from their day. Perhaps people have turned up to go on the hill for red stags in jeans, t-shirt and trainers carrying 150lbs of fat and not having moved from the TV for 2 years as an extreme example.

It might be nice to detail what might reasonably be expected in terms of footwear, clothing, equipment carried and general behaviour so that the beginning stalker just about to head out on his first guided stalk up a Scottish hill or in a Southern woodland has some idea of the general expectation the professional stalker will have.

The replies given to Capt David in the other thread have probably covered a lot of the ground (excuse the pun) when it comes to high seat and woodland stalking and I think such a sticky thread could be a valuable resource and starting point for the beginner who doesn't want to get it wrong and who can maybe only afford a few days per year of stalking.

Practice makes exprienced , there are no set rules to equiptment. Too much may be a hindrence as too little also. ( you never know till the fog comes !!)

I think going stalking for the first time with a pro must be a scary expearience for some , and i think it would be a nice idea to put up what normally happens !! Just to give a new chap an idea of what he would be expected to do or bring with him etc How this would be put into words is a differnt matter.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 27-02-2011 at 22:41.

Established Poster
    North Lanarkshire, the land that Summer forgot.
    I'd have thought its quite simple really.

Turn up at the correct time and place.
    Dress appropriately for the weather in drab colours and a decent pair of boots.
    Listen to what the Pro tells you before and during the stalk.
    Be aware of where the rifle is pointing if your carrying it.
    Don't shoot until told it is safe.
    Above all enjoy it and learn.

There must be professional stalkers on here who see new clients make the same mistake in terms of what they wear or what they expect from their day. Perhaps people have turned up to go on the hill for red stags in jeans, t-shirt and trainers carrying 150lbs of fat and not having moved from the TV for 2 years as an extreme example.
    Are you the nosey git that has been pimping through my window

Regular Poster
    Caorach, that is an excelent idea, lots of folks want to know as much as thay can before thay go to do any type of sport/pastime and your idea would be most welcome to many who just want to try another branch of stalking, as was siad, like hill forrest or have a go at diferant spieces.
    What are your proposals?.
    You have the oppertunity to submit a request to the site for a specific learning advice section.
    I know there are lots of good photos on here and with permission you could copy the represetative ones to that section and let the guys on hear submit there knowlege/experiences.

ATB Barry

Always expect the unexpected!